It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:45 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Aogami Super Laser vs AEB-L
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:15 pm 

Hi Mark,

I recently saw the review of your Aogami Super Laser 240mm gyuto and was hooked. I have three Konosuke HD knives and they are overall my favorites, but the edge on my Takeda Bunka (which is the only AS knife I own) has just a phenomenal combination of sharpness and durability. As such, I am lusting after the Laser(i am on the Email notification list). I just wanted to get your opinion on that knife vs. the AEB-L version. I know that is a great steel too and seems to be about the best stainless out there.

Thanks,

Carter

Post subject: Re: Aogami Super Laser vs AEB-L
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm going to try and answer this thread as best as I can as it seems we are getting a lot of requests about the AS Laser (Aogami Super) and the AEB-L (13c26) Laser. Although both knives are extremely good performing knives, there are some differences other than the blade steel itself.

AEB-L Laser: Very light weight, very thin behind the edge, very thin spine.

AS Laser: Light to medium/light weight, very thin behind the edge, medium thickness spine.

Both are about the same thinness behind the edge. I would compare thinness behind the edge to be at least as thin, if not slightly thinner, than your Konosuke HD's. The Aogami Super has more convex to the grind because it has a thicker spine, giving it better non-stick properties.

The AEB-L Laser is not as non-stick, but it gains a little bit in performance for that loss of non-stick.

The AS Laser gains chopping power over the AEB-L due to the increase in blade weight up front, so chopping may feel better with this one.

AEB-L will sharpen a little easier than AS, but the AS will hold an edge a little longer, aside from the fact that AEB-L is stainless and AS is not, meaning AEB-L will hold an edge longer doing high-acidity ingredients.

Both of these knives are some of the best performing knives I've used. I guess it comes down to this: Are you looking for the lightest, thinnest knife? or do you want something that performs like the lightest knife, with a little more weight. Some people want the thinnest knife possible, and the AEB-L version fits the bill. If you want something that still performs like a laser with a little more body to it, the AS is for you.

Personally, I want to say that I prefer the AS version due to the little extra weight up front... but I know other people who want the scary thin/light blade, and I feel that way sometimes as well.... so it's really a flip of the coin for me, both knives are seriously good.

I hope this helps, please feel free to shoot any more questions. :)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:57 pm 

IMOP the AS version is the one to have, for edge retention alone. I have the AEB-L 210mm petty, and I am not that impressed with the edge retention of AEB-L. My AS 240mm laser gyuto just never seems to get dull.

Not saying I don't like AEB-L, but I will say that Aogami Super is held in such high regard for a reason. The stuff is amazing. I use my Gyuto A LOT. Hours a day most days. I've never seen a knife hold an edge for so long, and I don't mean hold a serviceable edge, I mean a razor sharp edge. I've found that AEB-L has the ability to take a screaming sharp edge, but it can't hold it. It stays sharp for a long time, better than serviceable, but it is only wildly sharp for a short time. There is something to be said about the fact that it is truly stainless, but for my uses, there is nothing better than Aogami Super.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:28 am 
Forum Moderator

CARTER <> You already have three HD's, at least one presumably a gyuto, so mixing up styles with the AS Laser <--link seems logical so you don't have two lasers. That said, I'm not a exactly a fan of the AS Laser, and I'd buy the true Laser <-- link.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:59 am 

I'm curious if Mark has any opinions about the new Ginsan "Honyaki" Richmond laser. I know people often say ginsan and aeb-l behave similarly, but we all know that any steel is only as good as its heat treat and grind. Perhaps Mark has something to add regarding the ginsan—it may offer something right in between the two current options, such as the thinness of the aeb-l, but with slightly higher hardness and/or better edge retention. I'm certainly curious!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]