It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:33 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Fujiyama White #2 Question
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:26 pm 
Forum Moderator

With a machi you can cut a hole in the ferrule and rest the machi on the front of the ferrule hole. The knife won't go any deeper into the handle.....it's a lot easier.

Without you have to (at least I do) drill the hole in the handle the exact length you want the tang to sit into the handle. The back of the tang butts up against the bottom of the hole preventing it from going any deeper.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Machi is there so that the handle can be tapped to make the tang slip in farther if it loosens up. If you epoxy it in, you generally don't need to worry about the handle loosening. I cut a Machi into blades and drill the tang hole deeper than the tang by a little bit. Once I get the machi cut and the handle to fit flush with the machi, I put some wood dust down into the hole and tap the handle onto the tang to make it pack in and fit tight with the bottom of the hole. They I epoxy the whole thing. If there is no machi on the tang, I just file the tang slot to fit tight where I want it to fit, put some dust into the handle and tap the handle in, and epoxy the tang into the handle.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:11 pm 

Interesting. Thanks for answers guys...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:41 am 
Forum Moderator

DESOL <> Well... the knifemakers gave you a knifemaker's perspective, for sure. :P I'm an old-school pragmatic Chef, and my perspective is based solely on function. I know what feels right - for me, what does not... and more importantly.. WHY.

The extension of the choil away from the Wa created by the original design just fits me better.  I have to modify my pinch on all my knives w/the machi hidden... really annoying & uncomfortable.  The shorter the blade the worse it is. W/o the machi, the tight fit jams my pinch all day long. My finger has no room between the choil & ferrule.  Damn Americans (i am one, but not included) always have to bastardize anything they get their paws on.

As far as I understand, the only reason the Konosukes come with the machi hidden in the handle is because customers (Americans) complained to Mark that it didn't look finished. The Japs knew WTF they were doing; I prefer to leave well enough alone! ;)

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2