It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:43 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 5 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: shun 6 inch chef knife
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:45 pm 

Hello everyone,
I'm looking to get my first Japanese knife and I want something smaller than my 8inch messermeister chef knife and bigger than my paring knife. It seems like theres so many brands of Japanese knives its almost intimidating. All my chefs use shun knives at culinary school and recommend them. Is there any other brands I should be looking into besides shun? I'm looking to spend under 200 dollars

Post subject: Re: shun 6 inch chef knife
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:57 pm 

I'd recommend starting here...http://www.chefknivestogo.com/gyutos210mm.html Then start reading reviews, watching videos, etc. That may nudge you toward something that someone here can give you even more information on!! Great group of guys here with a ton of info/experience!

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:15 pm 
Forum Moderator

Smaller than an 8 inch? I recommend you go bigger, actually... to a 240mm knife. That's just me though. If you are looking for something between 8 inches and a parer, I recommend you get a petty or small sujihiki. Much better slicing action, lighter, more versatile.

This is my pic for what I think you'd benefit from the most, and it's in your price range. Konosuke HH 180mm Petty

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/konosukepetty2.html

Stainless steel, takes an edge better than VG-10, extremely thin. This knife will fly through ingredients, it's like nothing you've ever used before (aka, it beats your friends' Shuns)

How does this appeal to you, let us know what you really want... I can tell you what I think is best, but that still may not be what is best for you personally. Thanks for your questions, keep them coming! :)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:22 pm 

sometimes i feel like my 8 inch can be too big for small vegetables. i was thinking something in between a parring and a chef because it would be nice to use only one knife instead of the two. i was thinking a smaller chef style because i like to roll when i cut and i couldn't really do that with a petty knife right? i feel like it would be easier at work also i could chop and dice garlic and something big like an onion. i do like that knife though it looks cool

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:25 pm 

if you want a smaller gyuto then i would suggest getting the dojo 180mm gyuto. nice and relatively cheap. or if you want something in stainless, even a tojiro dp 180mm damascus gyuto will fit the bill.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:45 pm 

Goko 150mm petty white #1 with stainless cladding might fit the bill for you. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/gokopetty150mm.html
But tell your chef friends to be careful where they lay there knives because it eats Shun knives for lunch.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:36 pm 

the tojiros looks pretty sweet. why are they so cheap?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:37 pm 

Jeff B wrote:Goko 150mm petty white #1 with stainless cladding might fit the bill for you. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/gokopetty150mm.html
But tell your chef friends to be careful where they lay there knives because it eats Shun knives for lunch.

this thing looks awesome have you used it personally?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:27 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm confused here... you don't want the Konosuke because it's a petty and you can't rock with it... but you want the Goko because it's a petty and you can't rock with it? I'm confused now....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:30 pm 
Forum Moderator

organik wrote:the tojiros looks pretty sweet. why are they so cheap?

Which Tojiros? The DP's? Those are just like your friends' Shuns, but tougher. I always tell people to look at Tojiro if they want a Shun for professional use. Solid knives, great bang for the buck. The ITK series is a little bit unpolished, I don't know if you'd want to use those for culinary school right now. Those would do better for a home environment, or for someone with experience with carbon knives, the DP series is perfect for professional use IMO.

Page 1 of 5 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next