It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:45 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Fernandez Hiromoto Thinning and Etching
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:19 pm 
Site Admin

hi..
I decided to get a new knife a couple of weeks ago and I really had no idea what I was getting myself into. I have spent the last couple of weeks researching, reading forums, learning as much as I can about knives all the while trying to come to a decision about which knife to choose. In one forum I read a comment from boar_d_laze saying something along the lines of too much information can be a bad thing and that has certainly been true in my case. My current knife is an 8" Henckels Four Star which I have used for the past 12 years and it has served me well but I am ready for something new and hopefully a little better. I only cook at home but I would like a nice knife. I finally narrowed it down to either a 210mm Hiromoto AS Gyuto or a Sabatier carbon with the olive wood handle. I really like the look of the Sabatier but I think I have decided on going with the Hiromoto. Also, we are traveling to France next month so I kind of want to see what I can find there. I think I may have a knife addiction now

The reason I am writing to you is I noticed in the forum today that Shaun Fernandez is offering an upgrade to the Hiromotos and I think this is something I would like to take advantage of. How could this be handled, would I buy the knife and upgrade from you and then you ship it to Shaun to perform the work? Let me know.

My other question is about sharpening. In doing my research, I found out that I also need to learn how to sharpen my knife. Obviously I don't want to practice on my new Hiromoto. Is there an inexpensive knife you would recommend to practice my sharpening skills on? Any advice you could give would be appreciated.

thanks,
Warner

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Fernandez Hiromoto Thinning and Etching
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Warner,

I know there is a dizzying selection of knives on our site. It makes most of my analytically inclined customers heads explode.

The hiromoto is a good knife. I own one and I can have anything I want basically for free.

You can get Shaun's etching and thinning service by purchasing the service along with the knife. We will ship the knife to him for the work and he'll ship it directly to you. He does nice work and it's WAY less expensive than our competition and he does a better job to boot.

Also, we're much faster. If you place an order for this service with your Hiromoto knife we will ship it directly to Shaun for the work. He will complete the job usually within 1 week and send the knife on to you as soon as it's completed. It's a great way to really make the knife special. Eventually we will stock a few of these so there will be no wait at all and we can ship them out from the office.

Here is the link for the service: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/feuphietandt.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:45 pm 
Site Admin

For a cheap practice knife I would recommend an inexpensive carbon steel knife like this Fujiwara: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fucape15.html

It's a nice petty with good enough length to be of use.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:04 pm 

would love to see a WIP of the hiromoto. =D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:47 pm 
Forum Moderator

Absolutely, for the time being, if you want a Hiromoto with the upgrade I'll give customer knives priority and guarantee the work be done with a 2-3 day turnaround from the time I receive the knife.
I'll try and get some pics up of redoing my personal Hiromoto in a little bit. There's a lot of grinding going on when I do this, you are getting your money's worth on labor for sure. :)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:08 pm 

i want one also. but before i purchase one do you guys recommend any other knives comparable to a thinned hiro.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:58 am 

Also, just to be sure Shaun can thing all styles of hiros?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:08 am 

Would love to see a picture of yours Shaun.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:50 am 

What do you mean by "etching"?
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:10 am 

this just cements my wanting to get a hiromoto with thinning hehe

etching is by applying an acid of some sort, usually pcb etchant, so that the carbon steel "pops out" in contrast to the stainless steel cladding. usually done to damascus cladding but can also be done with san mai knives like the hiromoto.

=D

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]