It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:01 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Kikuichi Performance TKC vs Akifusa PM
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:22 am 

After few weeks of use and abuse in the professional environment, Akifusa PM outperformed Kikuichi TKC

Post subject: Re: Kikuichi Performance TKC vs Akifusa PM
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yep, could have told you so....

:)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:32 pm 
Forum Moderator

Ahaaa, but which one sharpens easier? :D

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:13 pm 
Forum Moderator

If you are worthy to be called an "adequate sharpener" then ease of sharpening is really irrelevant!

Those that do not fall in the above category should send knives away for sharpening and not bother with what you say.

Akifusa is up there with the all round best in edge retention, geometry as well as ease of sharpening, inclusive of price margin - I have bought and used a complete set, and bought a second set to gift to my family members.

It is really a good buy - value for money & performance wise.

:)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

Damn... hook, line, and sinker! haha :D They sound pretty good man!

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:45 am 

OK Shaun.......behave.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:51 pm 

Akifusa is definitely the smoother knife and as a novice sharpener, have had no problems with it at all. For less dense product, the Akifusa outperforms everything I own. It runs into some wedging issues on really dense stuff though. The TKC has a more versatile grind and feels amazing in the hand, but for me, when it comes to onions, tomatoes etc. it isn't in the same league as the Akifusa. Then again, for denser stuff, the TKC murders the Akifusa.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:35 pm 

ChipB wrote:Akifusa is definitely the smoother knife and as a novice sharpener, have had no problems with it at all. For less dense product, the Akifusa outperforms everything I own. It runs into some wedging issues on really dense stuff though. The TKC has a more versatile grind and feels amazing in the hand, but for me, when it comes to onions, tomatoes etc. it isn't in the same league as the Akifusa. Then again, for denser stuff, the TKC murders the Akifusa.

ChipB, way to bring this one back from the archive vault. I was always curious for another opinion on this topic, but never bought a Haruyuki myself. I'm personally about to put a 240 TKC against another of its staunch competitors; the Kono HD 240.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:50 pm 

Ha, yeah when I was researching my first JK purchase a couple months ago, the thread caught my attention, but there wasn't really an detail to it. I really need to to try a TKC in 240 to form a better opinion, but man, the Akifusa is one hell of a knife. If you're open to it, I'd be happy to send you the Haru/Aki for a few weeks in exchange for the TKC (assuming it's in 240). Really want this knife to get into more people's hands. Felt the same way about the Shimo, and think the new owner of it is equally as excited about the knife as I was.
Was glad that Steve had a go with the Akifusa and was as impressed as myself. It's funny when one's first purchase turns out to be one of the best. It's got it's flaws, but so do most knives. I'm so highly impressed with it, that I might see if Akifusa can do a custom job down the line with the SRS15 as the base/inspiration.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:54 pm 

ChipB wrote:Ha, yeah when I was researching my first JK purchase a couple months ago, the thread caught my attention, but there wasn't really an detail to it. I really need to to try a TKC in 240 to form a better opinion, but man, the Akifusa is one hell of a knife. If you're open to it, I'd be happy to send you the Haru/Aki for a few weeks in exchange for the TKC (assuming it's in 240). Really want this knife to get into more people's hands. Felt the same way about the Shimo, and think the new owner of it is equally as excited about the knife as I was.
Was glad that Steve had a go with the Akifusa and was as impressed as myself. It's funny when one's first purchase turns out to be one of the best. It's got it's flaws, but so do most knives. I'm so highly impressed with it, that I might see if Akifusa can do a custom job down the line with the SRS15 as the base/inspiration.

My TKC is a 240mm, I will keep that offer in my thoughts, perhaps we can make a go of it in a few weeks when I would have more time to allocate to the usage of the Haruyuki.

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next