It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:29 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 5 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Is it possible
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:27 am 
Forum Moderator

Glad I made my post as you two steel snobs (meant as a compliment) made the topic far clearer with your subsequent posts. I like to think of carbides as chocolate chips and the surrounding steel as the cookie dough. When you eat away at the dough , the chips fall out. Refined carbide structures seen in powdered steels, especially the latest generation do make life more interesting with smaller more evenly dispersed carbides. And of course using diamond and CBN - even at particle sizes smaller than the carbides - that are harder than even vanadium and niobium carbides (eg s35vn) allow you to cut THROUGH the carbides rather than just waiting for them to fall out, making for a much more refined geometry.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:04 am 

Knife Fanatic wrote:Oh it's okay, I'm not sure Adam's little hatchback would make it down here anyway. Meh, still better than my Civic I suppose.... ;)

(pray for me)

and about the poly boards:

Polyurethane cutting boards............

AFAIK polypropylene is the more common. PU is a thermoset plastic whereas PP will melt.

There have been some concerns raised about PU being food safe but there are so many varieties of PU that it is not possible to make a blanket statement condeming them. Anything approved for the food industry will be food safe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:24 am 
Forum Moderator

Ah, thank you for the correction sir. :) I often spit that term out so fast... and the funny thing is my dad builds chemical reactors for a living.... PP being one of them. (retiring this year) ;)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:02 am 

Knife Fanatic, a question, please.

[i]"End Grain cutting boards are the most desirable. There is 'side grain' and 'end grain' when it comes to wood. They look like what they sound like: The side grain has a long grain pattern that extends across the entire cutting board. End grain is usually a collection of little blocks, as you are cutting cross-sections, and then placing them back together. There is a big difference in edge life when it comes to side grain versus end grain. End grain is much softer on the edge, and if you've never used one you'll love how long your blade stays sharp on one. Even refined edges last on end grain maple boards.

Now side grain: Mostly going to be a bamboo board (already hard stuff) and side grain makes it even tougher. Side grain bamboo sucks, I'll say it like it is. End Grain bamboo is pretty good stuff though. Not as good as maple, but still better than poly. I'm not sure if side grain is worse than poly though.. that's a tossup."
:ugeek:[/I]

Not really clear on this. Are you saying that maple side-grain boards are pretty much even with poly boards as far as being tough on knives? Or are you talking about Bamboo end-grain boards. I understand that end-grain maple is better on knives than side-grain maple, but how much better. Just wondering if I need to replace my new side-grain maple with an end-grain before I start using the new Japanese knives.
Thanks.
Ray

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:38 am 
Forum Moderator

Ray - IMO you do not need to replace your edge grain (another name for side grain) board before using your J knives. Get those babies out and start prepping stuff man! :D.

There are things you can do to extend the edge life no matter what the cutting board material. A big one is not slamming the knife into the board when cutting harder foods like butter nut squash, etc. Control your cuts and slice instead of just pushing though hard stuff - you build up a lot of force, then when it does cut, the knife can end up hitting the board hard. Shaun mentions this occasionally during his knife review videos.

You'll also see Shaun push cut without machine-gunning the knife into the board - a la Aaron Gibson style. Aaron is amazing at what he does, but I'm certain he just accepts that touch-ups and sharpenings are going to happen more often as a result of his style. He's willing to accept that trade-off for the incredible volume of prep he can crank out.

We home cooks can be more leisurely with our prep and relish the performance of these knives without the pressure of a restaurant situation - a true luxury. Enjoy the experience of learning how to use these wonderful tools!

--------------------------
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:18 am 
Forum Moderator

I believe you should be just fine with maple 'anything.' It's the bamboo side grain that can be kind of hard, don't worry about maple side grain. Some people may think maple end grain is too soft and prefer side.

About Machine-gunning through prep: Because he can, and it's sexy, and you know it. :mrgreen: I'm only half kidding... Aaron really does do more prep than anyone else I know, so I recon his on-camera speed is only slightly faster than his normal tempo. Also, if a knife doesn't perform good it won't do good at high speed, so there is 'some' merit to what he does on camera. Honestly, as a prep cook, I used to take my time a little bit, because even then I was still faster than the guys from the previous shift. ;) Don't wanna finish everything too fast and not get your hours! (Forget overtime at most corporate restaurants these days)

I try not to just "muscle" through ingredients with a knife, I try my best to use the knife's weight most of the time to show true cutting performance. People can man-handle knives and make them cut, but that's dangerous, ugly, and not really good practice. Getting a blade that's suited for your cutting style is a great thing IMO... when you pick the knife up, and you don't even think about it, just use it. It's so funny we put so much effort into getting something you don't want to notice while prepping. It's like, after all the work I put into an edge sometimes, to make it look right, or "factory new", you just kind of look, and go ,... "meh, it looks like it's suppose to" and all that effort goes unsung....... the story of a sharpener's life....... sometimes. I'm half kidding here too, but it is the mind-set of the average home cook of "I don't care how you get it sharp, and I don't care how sharp it is, I just want a sharp knife period, I don't care that your stupid fingers bled while grinding the crap steel on my $15 Walmart special.... and you better tell me it's going to stay sharp forever after also, or I'll throw you weird looks until you stop talking about my knives... oh, thanks by the way I guess.." (the mindset of the average person when it comes to kitchen knives) (I need another scotch also)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:53 am 

Knife Fanatic wrote:About Machine-gunning through prep: Because he can, and it's sexy, and you know it. :mrgreen....

Damn skippy! And nobody makes it look sexier than Aaron!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:06 am 
Forum Moderator

Shaun - you're awesome man 8-). Raibeaux is a newer Edge Pro user, so he has a good setup to keep those J knives in top cutting condition.

We had 2 couples over for dinner a few weeks ago. I was slicing a grilled hanger steak for fajitas with the Artifex 210 - like buttah baby! Just a pleasure to easily create nice even, pretty slices against the grain.

Later, after a couple of beers, I decided to do a little cutting demo with an onion. I topped the onion, halved it, peeled the halves, and started making the horizontal cuts for a dice - one gal visibly jumped :shock: like I was going to cut my arm off or something! I offered to let her try some vertical cuts but she wouldn't get anywhere near the Artifex :?.

I guess that I'm still amazed at most people's lack of knife skills and lack of understanding that sharp can make things easier and safer (when things are done correctly).

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:15 pm 

Woowuuu ~~ let me tell a little story

I had actually managed to sharpen my mediocre knife and a cheap cheap rough stone~~ then went test it out on some onions~~ results was great, very sharp,but i did managed to slice a piece of my fingernail with some flesh on it ~~ :'(

Treat the blades with respect ~~~ /_\

Sorry from threat jacking ~~

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:00 pm 

Personally, I prefer side grain boards. (In maple)

Page 4 of 5 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next