It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:02 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: f.dick knifes
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:48 pm 
Forum Moderator

KYLE <> At 19, I don't know why you think you have to drop US$1170 on knives... none of my business, really, but you don't. You've used some reliable workhorses in your Forschners & the Globals have taught you what a junk knife is. Globals are house knife garbage.

You've done Forschner & want to graduate up in the knife world as your knife skills are maturing, but you still are young & learning. If you're looking for the German style big belly profiles with soft stainless steel like the F.Dick that will take the abuse of absolute disrespect, I would recommend a Wusthof Ikon. It has no full bolster, and will allow you to sharpen all the way to the heel. It shares this design trait with the Forschners, but it is relatively rare among the German knives. I really wouldn't suggest you buy the Ikons though as if you were going that route, I'd say buy an array of Forschners and beat the hell out of them... they will take it.

On the other hand, you seemingly want a quantum jump in performance of which you will not receive from soft steel. In the same breath, I'm not sure you're ready for any steel over 60 HRc, either. I think you would end up chipping them & getting discouraged. There are a lot of steel snobs that will scoff at what I'm going to say, but I think matching a knife with an application is more important then having >> insert super steel here <<.

I think the Shun Classics or Tojiro DP's are a great starting place for you. The peanut gallery is going to call VG-10 chippy, but the ability it has to take an edge & the ease in which it is to sharpen - something you need to learn now - makes this a really awesome steel for you.

Mark is running a special on the Tamahagane line, right now. The VG-5 @59 HRc is right up your alley, right now.

The Fujiwara FKM & MAC Pros are distinct possibilities, as well. And a little higher up the ladder, the Masamoto VG's.

All of these are HEAD & SHOULDERS beyond the knives you've used or the F.Dicks you were recommended, and an adequate set can all be had under $1170 (210mm & 270mm Chef's knives (gyuto), 95mm paring knife, boning knife or 2 (hankotsu/gokujo), bread knife (tojiro ITK/10"forschner), a slicer (sujihiki), and a 150mm petty). You could get into a Nakiri & a Deba, but I think they would be a waste of money for you at this point.

My $.02

...enjoy the journey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:35 pm 
Forum Moderator

Oh you called it, and here comes the peanut gallery!! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

I'm not sure about recommending someone a Shun after using a Global... that's just silly. Where are we? Bed Bath and Beyond? (please don't stab me!)

Wusthof Ikons... not too bad, it is their best knife, but a little pricey for what you are getting IMO.

The Tamahagane isn't a bad choice at all, especially if there's a special on them. They'll perform like the Shun but with a better profile and toughness.

MAC, Tojiro, Fujiwara, and Masamoto are where you wanna start IMO. Tough knives, good performers, good value. :)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:46 pm 

Why buy a set? I would pick and choose some of the awesome recommendations from the website... Grab a MAC Chef Knife, Tojiro Paring Knife, Fuji Utility, Masamoto Boning... Or any different combination... I don't know anyone in any of the kitchens I have worked in who has a set of all the same knife makers in their kit (except for culinary students)...

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2