It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:00 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Twinkle finish on artfex
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:01 am 
Forum Moderator

Who will be the proud owner of this I will post a couple pics

Post subject: Re: Twinkle finish on artfex
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:02 am 
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:03 am 
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:05 am 
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:25 am 

Well James, you should know I am striving to achieve this type of consistency on even one of my knives!!! How long have you been seriously sharpening? Obviously for quite a while with all the stone inventory you have!!!

Drew Hostetler

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:40 am 
Forum Moderator

Thanks drew its still a hobby I just concentrate hard, about 10 yrs sharpening with arky's just on sabatiers but due to health reasons my dr told me to use my hobby to take my mind off pain so it's kind of a double edge sword of it wasn't for my health I probably wouldn't due what I do but in a way god puts us here for a reason maybe this is my way of stretching out how long I am here or possibly helping cure or slow down my issues. I wouldn't call myself a pro, mark, Michael, ken and several others make my work look bad but Thant u for the complement it helps hopefully one day I can hold my name beside theirs and I am my own worst enemy if I don't think it is 100% perfect I will start over which rarely happens now usually when my pain is up and than I know it's my bodies way of saying stop till later. I strive to be consicent

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:46 am 
Forum Moderator

I started growing my collection of stones about 8 yrs ago when I got away from Germans and go mostly Japanese. Trick is to picture what you want your edge to look like in your head and go for it I have no depth perception I only have one eye from birth that works and all my sharpening is done off sound and feel sometimes my eyes are actually closed it freaks my wife out that I haven't lost a digit or two or three. Once again thanks for the complement and it's great to see someone from meck county on here neighbor. Jmbullman

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:23 am 

Wow, eyes closed, impressive. I started my freehand stone collection with the green and red brick and suehiro rika. Oh also got dmt xxc, I will stick with these three until I get the consistent angle around the tips of gyutos (an issue I have). But after I can get it down, I can justify buying different stones and get to a higher freehand polish. Until then I always have the edge pro to keep the knives sharp for work!

I still find it crazy you live like 5 minutes away! Small world

Drew Hostetler

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:46 am 
Forum Moderator

It is a small world I meet a guy on here who grew up literally where my family hails from since before the civil war damdest thing I ever seen. I cut my water stones on nortons and I will put money down against anybody they are the best to learn on (so are yours) and are still in the top 10 of stones I have had a 4k norton fix a mistake that I made many a time and the 8k is a great finish for anybody, it's not a shapton but it's still good enough for most people and if it's just a basic sharpening job I won't hesitate to send on out as completed. I know mark doesn't sell them yet but if you can swing it even a combo stone from amazon it's worth it it can and will save plus teach it is very forgiving and the 4 k is still one of the best medium cutters there is. I might have exaggerated the complety eyes closed but it's close I have absolutely 0 depth percePtion. Once you get the tip down and you will (i still have to make sure I don't over grind occasionally on the tip especially if it's a thin knife) but u are on the rite track u seem to be catching on to freehand fast an u have an ep their is nothing u can't do. I just strive to eventually be in the top 10 around here and I will be happy. Peace neighbor and what part of Charlotte u in it doesn't have too be specific I have lived here all my live sink will know where u are at. Jmbullman

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:04 am 
Forum Moderator

Drew since u live so close my door is always open if you want to learn any tip tricks or try out a stone or two before u buy. I am really getting into naturals and will eventually do a complete switch if the knife can handle it to me the edge seems stronger when finished with a natural but that is more than likely only head but I do believe they get sharper it's just the expense sometimes and money is at a premium for me now as in I have very little free cash and it never fails I have 3 relatives with birthdays coming in this weekend maybe Incan sham them into buying a knife hay what is family for. Haha. Jmbullman

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next