It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:26 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wa handles...a start!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:22 pm 

Thanks Tim, one more thing to my knife education book. :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

Got 2 more Wa handles finished up today! Just need a few more coats of finish and the final installation to the handles. The customer wanted Inverse Handles with Stabilized Claro Walnut and Stabilized Curly Maple. For the CCK, we went with the Walnut as the ferrule and the Maple as the main handle and switched them up for the Tojiro ITK 120mm petty. The CCK we went with a Octagon shaped Wa handle, with the bevels rounded out a bit and the ferrule tapered similar to the original ferrule on the CCK. The handle is also a good bit taller than it is wide, taller than I was use on a gyuto normally! The Petty is a D handle, righty, with the ferrule having a little taper towards the front.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:33 pm 

The inverse handles look very cool. Nice work Tim. BTW, I really enjoyed reading a piece of the Hartford Courant newspaper you sent me. "The Oldest Continuously Published Newspaper In America" ! :D. The Sab is killer! The pix were great but much nicer in the hand. The copper pins were a great touch. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:43 pm 
Forum Moderator

Your welcome Mike! LOL, gotta find packing material from somewhere! LOL.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:24 pm 

I just want to say that it was a pleasure to work with Tim!

He was very helpful and responsive from my first email (and there were many). He gave suggestions, but listened to my ideas, and was in great communication with updates and photos throughout.

I highly recommend working with Tim. He offers a great service at a great price.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:16 am 

I have a number of Tojiro's that I like the knife but hate the handle's look... I might be calling you soon... sorry about your finger as well.. Ouch...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:32 am 
Forum Moderator

Thanks Todd! I really liked doing those handles and the wood you chose really matched up well with the knives, too.

Finger is finally back to normal, just the scar remains! Did the package make it to you OK Jason? I just ordered a bunch of Cocobolo, Burmese Blackwood, Ziricote, Bloodwood and Redheart yesterday for non stabilized Wa handles :)

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

Had some time today, and I got most of the work done on a pair of handles. Natural Redwood Burl ferrule, Red G10 spacer, Black Redwood Burl, Red G10 spacer and Natural Redwood Burl end cap, reinforced with a Mosaic pin. These were 2 of the matched blocks I got recently and are similar to the Laser AS rehandle I did, but black instead of blue. Knives are a Tojiro ITK Kiritsuke and a Masakage Mizu Blue #2 270mm suji. Still need to clean up the fit of the handle to the knife, repolish the handle and apply a finish and then epoxy to the tang.

OctaVal Handle (Octagon, but the bottom is rounded like an oval)

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:41 pm 

Absolutely awesome. Nice work

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:28 pm 

Show off.

Page 2 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next