It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:26 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Gyuto recomendation
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:49 pm 
Forum Moderator

Wow, fun topic!! :)

Click the button, you won't be unhappy.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:03 pm 

Jreb04 wrote: I don't know that I wouldn't like a wa, but I have never used one. I rock chop mostly because I have a shitty knife. It wouldn't push cut if I wanted to. That's why I am upgrading. I just want to slice through my vegetables like butter. I do pinch grip more and more, but my knife still sucks, so I think that I am gonna go with the Kono HD wa. About to click the button.

Whatever your current knife, it seems that it's very dull. Not all knives take or hold a really good edge, and it's useful to think of them as not even worth sharpening. The most important property of any good knife, i.e., what -- more than anything else -- makes it good, is its edge taking and holding properties.

In your case it's likely that a new knife, especially one as good a Konosuke, will be a VGT (very good thing). Still, if you haven't already, it's time to start thinking of sharpening, sharpening equipment, and sharpening skills as an integral part of a good knife.

It doesn't matter how good, how expensive, how beautiful it was when purchased. All knives get dull and any dull knife is a dull knife. If you can't or won't make a commitment to sharpening, you might want to think about something less expensive.

Lasers -- no matter the handle type -- tend to act sharper than knives of ordinary thinness because they're so thin. Thin isn't quite the same thing as sharp, at least not in the way that the width of the actual edge is; but thin is part of "perceives sharpness" and goes a long way in making the knife act sharp. However, they also tend to be very flexible and can bind in the user racks, torques, or otherwise doesn't keep the knife square to the cut. But, fear not. That turns out not to be a big problem for most home cooks, because they have the time to make sure their knife is straight. On the other hand, "making sure" does mean you do have to pay attention until your skills improve and keeping the knife square becomes automatic.

There's some discussion here and there about babying lasers. Without getting too deeply into it, let's just say that they're subject to the same restrictions as any knife made of similar alloys and taken to similar hardness. You don't want to cut through or even too close to bones; but you can crush garlic.

Things like cutting thick-skinned squash, pineapple, melons, etc., are really skills dependent. As long as you don't rack the blade, no problem. But if you do, the knives are flexible enough to bend and will bind. Binding is mostly a bad thing because the tendency is to force the knife through the food which results in slamming it on the board, which in turn results in chipping.

Here are some rules of thumb: The softer the grip and the sharper the edge, the easier it is to keep the knife square and avoid binding. On the other hand, stiff knives won't flex, and -- while a poor grip may cause them to steer in all sorts of unintended directions -- at least they won't bind.

In any case, if you keep a laser or any other thin, light knife as your go-to gyuto, you'll need something stiffer and heavier for the tough stuff; and probably one or two specialty meat knives as well.

I bought a Konosuke HD 270 wa-gyuto a couple of years ago when they first entered the market. It's very well made, impeccably finished, has an excellent profile (almost as good as a Masamoto KS) takes an edge well, holds it well, and has a great feeling on the stones. If I had to restrict my collection of chef's knife down to one, it's the knife I'd keep. The Kono suits me well, and I recommend it very highly.

Sharpening, sharpening, sharpening.

BDL

PS. Push the button.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:10 pm 

button clicked. will let you guys know when it gets here

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:19 pm 

Just to add on, recently got a Hiromoto 210 AS. Have chopped veggies and cut meat with it. I just butterflied some chicken breasts with it, which was lovely - like cutting through butter and came out great.

My neophyte opinion: this is very western feeling knife. Balance is back in the handle. Big bolster. Finish on the handle looks great to me. It handles like a much sharper and more nimble version of a Sabbatier or Wusthof Santoku. Not to say it's a santoku at all. The GF likes it a lot and it's probably her go to knife from now on. I'll likely end up with something lighter. Before you guys started brainwashing me I would have been perfectly happy with this knife.

Page 3 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3