It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:30 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: 210 Richmond Laser Aogami Super
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:07 am 

Jeees, I hate to sound like some fan boy defending his latest unseen internet purchase, but damn, this is truly an awesome knife.

Okay, maybe not if you need to hack off a limb or whittle a tusk, but if the redesign of something more appropriate for the dinner plate tingles your synapses, this knife rocks.

The handles fit and finish is pretty much flawless, and its connection to the blade completely sealed. Very nice unless you like a little fungal booster getting involved to help with the sculpting process.

Moving forward of the handle toward an otherwise flawless blade, its not all roses. On my example, really, WTF, it had to be my example..... one side of the choil for half an inch was a little..... Hay, sanding guy, message for djouu. I had to take a couple swipes with the 800 grit. No big deal, but don't be expecting me to cover next time you run off to dally the latest incarnation of.....

Anyways, with that scrap sordid bitchery trailing into etherial..... Okay, I'll get on with it ..... OMFG this thing cuts like no tomorrow. Its so friggen thin behind the edge, you can hardly see the bevel. Its not much thicker than a couple human hairs and that vanishingly thin bevel is so exquisitely shaped, the weak nuclear forces of whatever atoms are lucky enough to be in its presence, dissipates as if a deity was passing.

Feels very light, very nimble, a serious joy to cut with, enough so that my daughter said "Dad, for f#@$ sake, no one likes minced carrots." I said, "who talks like that, WTF, cant a man......".

I friggen love this knife, I really do. I shall sleep with it under my pillow tonight.

Last edited by branwell on Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 210 Richmond Laser Aogami Super
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:31 am 
Forum Moderator

BRANWELL <> Why don't you tell us how you really feel.?!Image

J/K... good to hear you're happy with your addition.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:42 am 
Forum Moderator

Very nice, glad to see someone's feedback the same as mine was. :)

It makes veggie prep a little too much fun IMO. :mrgreen:

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:54 pm 
Site Admin

Awesome! I'm so happy with the results of this knife I'm seriously considering doing an R2 version which was offered to me with the same blade style and grinds.

I also got word that my next batch of 240mm gyutos are done and they're going to be in my hands later this week. Handle installation will be quick so we'll be back in stock very soon.

Thanks again for the review!

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:44 am 

Hay Mark,

Totally loving this knife...... but my daughter keeps eyeing it up.... gerrrrrr.... hands off.... tis mine, all mine......

But father daughters being what they are, daughters always win. Good to know the 240s are coming in soon.... am thinking might need a new knife right about then :)

What's an R2 version?

And yea Shaun, I'm thinking I need to get a job doing prep at a restaurant just so I have enough stuff to slice up. Need my fix.... chop, chop, chop.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:26 am 

Nice, any chance of saving one for me with no handle?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:59 pm 

I'm really enjoying mine as well. The Nakiri and the 210 Gyuto are my best performing knives. I hope you expand the line...a suji would be a great addition. Hoping the next round of pettys will have the new handles as well.. Thanks again Mark.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:59 pm 
Forum Moderator

BRANWELL <> R2 is a powder steel made by Kobelco that is arguably on the performance level of Hitachi's ZDP or BÖHLER'S M390.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:55 am 

How would HAP40 steel compare to the few mentioned ^^

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:33 am 
Forum Moderator

I'm not sure that R2 will perform like ZDP, maybe close, but I heard it was a bit like SG-2, but more of a high-temp/high-speed tool steel, whereas SG-2 is only high-speed? (heavier alloyed?) The information I had was so long ago, and I can't find it again. Not sure the difference in alloys, but I'd be willing to bet it performs close to CPM-154. Any powdered metal with a decent amount of alloys is going to be pretty good. I think that HAP40 is going to beat it, but that's just because I like stupid steep edges sometimes. We all need at that one knife that scares even us. :twisted:

Speaking of which, I haven't tried to see how refined of an edge HAP40 will take, it takes a steep one though, I can tell you that much.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next