It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:23 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Looking for an a la carte knife set
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:52 pm 

It's a wedding gift for a couple with normal-sized hands who will use it at home. Most of the descriptions on the site seem to indicate that 210 is a good size for home use, and my wife sticks with a 210 most of the time too. I have very large hands, so use a 270.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:50 pm 

Figured it would be hand size, since it was something you mentioned before.

The appropriate knife length has nothing to do with the user's hand size or height.

It's easier for someone with a "naive" grip to control a shorter knife than a longer knife, but a longer knife brings enough other benefits to make the little bit of extra time and trouble required to learn a good grip worthwhile.

210mm is the most common length. However, that length emphasizes the belly while restricting the usable span of the flat part of the edge. Even though 210 is more popular, 240 is usually a better choice. The best reasons to go for a 270 is because you've found one that's light and agile, and you've got the room and the skills to use it.

But, gifts are gifts. Pleasing the recipients is the priority. This is best illustrated when a woman is the intended recipient of a knife gift. Most wives do not respond well when their husbands offer to teach them knife skills. Trust me.

When it comes to a wedding present, there's a good argument to made for either 210mm or 240mm. While I'd gift a 240, I was more curious about your process and discussing the relative importance of hand size, than offering a recommendation.

BDL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:46 pm 

Thanks for the feedback. I used to find a 210mm Global too small to grip comfortably (without endangering my index finger) but these days I just feel like it's too small to be useful! Working on getting more real estate for my 270mm...

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2