It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:01 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: wa hiromoto?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

I got several kitchen knives from you last month, 2 x Hiromotos, a 240, and a 150, and a Goko 210. Like them a lot... Thanks a bunch.

My GF ran off with the 210 and I'm kind a wanting another in that size. I like the Hiro blade more than the Goko, but am wanting one with a Japanese handle. Does Hiro make Japanese handled versions of there AS series knives?

Best,

B

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: wa hiromoto?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:44 pm 
Site Admin

Hi B,

Try my Aogami Super clad laser. It's a better knife than the hiromoto in almost every way in my humble opinion.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rilaaosu21gy.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:13 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm absolutely 100% with Mark on this one. Try out a 210 Laser, you'll freaking love it. If you don't like it, I'll sell all my knives on ebay, for free. Free shipping too. :mrgreen:

Kidding of course, you're paying for shipping.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:00 pm 

I have a similar concern. I want a carbon, preferably as gyotu. I was between a carbon addict, the Hirohito, and the as laser. I do like thin knives and was concerned that the laser is more than 1 mm thicker at the spine that the Hiromoto. I have thicker knives, that although are thin behind the edge, don't drop thru food as nicely due to the taper. Can anyone weigh in on this?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:43 pm 
Forum Moderator

I see what you're saying about a thick spine causing a knife to wedge even if it's thin behind the edge, but that happens on a knife that doesn't have a gentle convex. It all depends how high up on the blade face do they start thinning it, and how dramatic does it drop off. I've noticed zero problems on the Laser's grind in this respect, Aogami Super version of course. The AEB-L laser is a laser in all aspects of the term.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:24 pm 

For instance, I bought that Tanaka blue #2 as an every day knife, which I believe you reviewed and had positive things to say about the convex. I find it to wedge a bit... is the aogami laser of similar grind? If so I cant see it feeling like a laser.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:51 pm 
Forum Moderator

Which Tanaka? I found that the blue #2 KU 210mm wedged a bit more in food than my 240mm Sekiso Tanaka did. The Kasumi finish (bead blast usually) adds a good bit of friction to the cut as well.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:10 am 

The 210 blue 2. I guess my question is, is the as laser similar in grind, because the tanaka doesn't feel like one at all.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:06 am 
Forum Moderator

It will depend on the actual grind of the Laser. The Tanaka's aren't Lasers, they are a thicker gyuto with convexing on the side, but are very thin behind the edge. A laser is thinner generally and has less convexing on the side because there is less metal to remove/convex. Many KU knives I have found to wedge a bit more than a similar knife because the grind height seems to tend to be lower than other knives due to the style. The Tanaka Sekiso is ground up a bit higher up the side of the knife and cuts better than the stock KU gyuto does. I polished up the blade road of the KU 210mm and it cut better, then I reground the KU blade and brought the grind a bit higher up the blade and it cuts much better now.

Not all convex grinds are the same; the depends on the thickness of the steel and how they are grinding it. Some convex grinds are much beefier than others!

Judging from the video reviews, I would say the AS Laser will cut better than the KU Tanaka 210mm.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:03 am 
Forum Moderator

The Tanaka is a very thin knife, but the Laser is a touch thinner behind the edge and has a smoother finish. The Kurouchi finish on the Tanaka does create some drag, as well as on knives like the Yamashin White #1 and the Tojiro ITK line. Also, the grind isn't quite as nice. That's why those knives are priced closer to $100 and not $200.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]