It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:44 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Shapton GS Pro vs Shapton GS
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:34 pm 

Thinking about getting a set of Shapton GS stones, are the Pro versions worth the extra cost? I am currently using the stock EP stones, Diamond films from 165u - .1u, Atoma plates 140 grit - 1200 grit. I hear a lot of good chatter about the GS stones. What stone choices would make a good set. Would the GS at 30K ($249.95) be in the set? Lot of questions I know, but I want to make sure. Thanks for any help.

Post subject: Re: Shapton GS Pro vs Shapton GS
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:19 am 

My Shaptons are glass with the exception of the 2k which a pro. Very happy with both. The 2k is softer so I use light light touch or just edge trailing strokes with it. I can't imagine what kind of knife you'd want a 30k stone for. Curious. I use some of Ken's strop compounds which are superb, but I find myself stopping between 5k and 10k with stones on almost all the knives I do. I do have a 16k stone, no 30. I think MadRookie stops at 2k on a lot of knives and he uses Shaptons too I believe. Don't want to speak for him but he gives rock solid advice.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:21 am 
Forum Moderator

I currently believe in & use the Shapton Glass stones (have most other stones too) - they cut faster than most, dish slow & work on all types of steel - especially the very hard ones.

30k is seriously only good for bragging rights or mirror polish on relief bevels.

In extreme cases you might want to take a knife edge to 8k, which is scary sharp.

As an all rounder edge I stop at a refined 2k edge - found it to be the best cutter for my food prep duties.

:)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:30 am 

MadRookie,

Do you prefer the GS Pro or the regular GS stones? What do you think a good set would include? Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

You mean Shaptone Pro vs Shapton Glass Stones (GS).

Me - GS all the way!

500 #/1k/2k/4k/8k/16k/30k is what I use with Atomas to do the low end grinding.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:36 am 

MadRookie,

Thanks, that cleared it up. I mistakenly thought the Shapton Pro stones were Glass stones also, just thicker.
I think i will be ordering some of the GS stones.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:59 pm 
Forum Moderator

Good call!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:22 pm 

Hi. I had planned on ordering Shaptons including the 6K, but it is out of stock. Would the following be a good set of stones to wind up with?

Atoma 140
Shapton 220
Shapton 500
Shapton 1K
Shapton 2K
Shapton 4K
Shapton 8K (might get this a little later, dunno)

One thing that I need to figure out is how to decide which stone to use to begin sharpening a knife, so as not to start with one that's more course than necessary. For instance, I have three new Forschner chef's for the store I haven't used yet, and I have both a TKC and Artifex gyuto I haven't had to sharpen. I also have some older knives including one s/s that seems to be made of an alien alloy...this is a hard, hard stainless..can't wait to put the Atoma 140 to it.
Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

Glass or Pro?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:22 pm 

Howdy. I was thinking glass, but I am unbelievably flexible. Seems I read around here somewhere that someone used glass mainly, but with an insertion of a pro stone in the mix. Dunno, I've read so much my mind is a bit addled. I think I could comprehend better back in my drinking days. Then again, my drinking days may be why I'm addled now.

I really appreciate the help, by the way. I just ordered three of the "Remedy" Artifexes a few minutes ago. Seemed like the thing to do at the time ("Aw, shoot, gimmie three".

Still looking for THE knife(s). Gotten it narrowed down pretty good, though.

Page 1 of 3 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next