It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:39 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Looking for a workhorse
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:55 pm 

Takeda gyuto are very thin and light and thin. They're really in the "laser" class, but you said you wanted something else. Even if you're looking for something in that light and thin, there are many choices representing far greater bang for the buck.

Also, the Hirmomoto AS ain't all it's cracked up to be. Its AS hagane is decent, but there's nothing else about the knife to recommend it. It's not a bad looking but knife, but the profile, F&F and comfort are only adequate.

I think your best yo-gyuto choices might be with a Richmond; either the Addict2 or an Ultimatum.

If you're looking for a stainless yo-gyuto workhorse which will take a great edge and hold it forever, consider the Richmond Ultimatum in Bohler 390. At around 7oz it's not quite a "mighty gyuto," but the balance is definitely blade forward. The profile is excellent for someone who does any rock chopping, especially if they use the French style which I call "guillotine and glide." The Ultimatum is stiff and stout enough for just any everyday task short of splitting chickens, and its convexed left face makes it almost non-stick for right-handed users.

My Ultimatum is 52100 carbon, but I know a couple of guys who use the Bohler 390 and they say it's the best alloy they've ever tried when it comes to edge holding.

Hope this helps,
BDL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:35 pm 
Site Admin

Hey buddy! Thanks for coming over.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:13 am 

I guess my first email was a little confusing here is what I am looking for:

A light knife that will keep stay sharp for a for a vast amount of vegetable prep and some light protein work. I like a blade around 7" for this type of work. In the past I have used a shun classic Nakiri and my current Maybi Santoku for this work. I like the Japanese style handle but my Maybi does not keep a edge for very long.

I am also looking to buy a guyto but for that type of knife and work I do with it I generally use a heavier blade that is not as thin.

The first described knife is what I am currently looking to buy and price does not matter. I am seeking excellent quality.

Thanks
Chef

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:14 am 

BDL--> I was in need of a decent hone, your "firm" and consistent recommendations of the Idahone I found around the internet is what brought me to this place. Now I am much lighter in the wallet because of it but....I can say that my knives are very grateful for it! Now I'm working toward better knives. Good to see you here!

Last edited by Jeff B on Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:15 am 

wow BDL over here.

sweet.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

So you're after a 180mm, thin veggie prep knife. A 180mm nakiri sounds good, as does a 180mm gyuto.

Given no budget, this would be an ideal knife:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kofubl2na18.html

this would be great as well:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kowh2na18.html

Same knife, but white steel in lieu of blue.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:53 pm 
Forum Moderator

I really believe Kanehiro knives will fit the bill in the case. They are easily built strong enough for professional use, strong enough to get everything done (except frozen stuff), the grinds are excellent, fit and finish is great, and the take and hold a crazy good edge. Unfortunately I feel like these great knives took a back seat with all the great ones that came in recently. I'd recommend Kanehiro over Takeda, as a personal preference. I like Takeda, but I just feel like Kanehiro would do a little better in a pro setting.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kanehiro.html

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2