It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:52 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Need a new Nakiri
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:16 pm 
Site Admin

Mark--

What happened to the forum? Have not be able to bring in up for a week or so now. Is that just my computer, or is there a problem on your end?

And here is my question I was going to post on the forum: Need a new nakiri. Was first looking at Moritkas, but see you are out. Love their knives and have bought several from you. Am also eying the Takeda and the Konosuke Fujiyama Blue #2.

Which would you go with and why? Konosuke is very attractive, but is the most expensive.... I have got to believe that the Tak and the Moritaka, however, hold just a screaming edge based on my experience with the Moritaka.

I know you get too many of these "which to buy" questions, but you have never steered me wrong and I am unable to access the forum.

Oh, and ps, need a few Shapton glass stones for the edge pro. Any that really stand out right now. Able to get two or maybe three.... 1,000, 4,000, 8,000?

Thanks for your help!

Chris

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Need a new Nakiri
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:23 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry Chris,

I think some people are having difficulty because there is a bug between Internet Explorer and these PHP forums.

We should have more Moritakas but I kind of like the ones with a little belly. Moritaka makes theirs very flat. Try something different since it's way more fun to learn about new makers and how they compare.

How about the Masakage Koishi?

Yes the 1K 4K and 8K are a good 3 pc set as long as your knives are in pretty good condition. If you need to do some re-profiling or chip removal I would suggest you add the 320 as well.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:18 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, I will try to get on line, but had this problem both on my home computer and my work computer.

Mark,

I did see the Masakage Koishi, and then the Masakage Yuki. They both look great, but the reviewer (video) seemed to like the Yuki a touch more??? Do you agree? You seem to be out of stock on that one and what was appealing was what appeared to be a slightly stainless cladding? And by the way, I won't fault you if you also push me towards the Konosuke. I have yet to use or own one and the F&F look extraordinary... And blue #2 steel. I am guessing this thing also is a wicked performer.... Thoughts, and is it in stock?

I will also see what the folks on the site (assuming I can get on) have to say as well.

Thanks again, and order coming soon.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:19 pm 
Site Admin

Yes we have the blue #2 konosuke in stock and I love that knife as well. They're really well made and nicely finished.

The Yuki is nice too. You won't go wrong with any of them.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:32 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Takeda nakiri's are really nice, as are the Konosuke nakiri's.

Picking between them would be a "Do I want a KU finish or polished finish" or based on price.

The Masakage knives are nice as well, but I don't think quite in the league as the others. I could be biased though as I love Konosuke and Takeda. :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:18 pm 
Forum Moderator

Hmmm, I would easily put Masakage knives up there with Takeda, and they aren't that far off of Konosuke either. Grinds are awesome on them, and the Yuki series is going to blow people away, just watch and see. :mrgreen:

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:00 pm 
Forum Moderator

I just got a Tanaka Sekiso Nakiri not too long ago and have been using it a lot lately. Slices right thru sweet potatoes really smoothly and easily! Blue #2 steel and carbon Damascus cladding. Great grind, very thin behind the edge and will hold an edge very well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:11 pm 

taz575 wrote:I just got a Tanaka Sekiso Nakiri not too long ago and have been using it a lot lately. Slices right thru sweet potatoes really smoothly and easily! Blue #2 steel and carbon Damascus cladding. Great grind, very thin behind the edge and will hold an edge very well.

+1 (but I haven't done sweet potatoes)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:30 pm 

I just got the Goko Nakiri. It's white#1 stainless cladding. It is a great looking knife and a beast at cutting. Sharp out off the box. Sticks in the cutting board if not careful. All in all a great knife. I am very happy with my purchase.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/gona16.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:40 pm 

Hey guys, thanks for all your input.

I think I have narrowed this down to two knives (I think!): The Konosuke blue #2 and the Takeda. I don't own a single knife in either of those two makes but do have a few Moritakas which really do have an amazing edge. I have read about for quite some time the quality, F&F of the Konos and their overall performance. Same also with the Takedas. Curious why Kono doesn't seem to use aogami super steel in its knives, or at least not one that jumps out at me and instead is using a blue #2 for what appears to be the higher end of its nakiris. I am guessing that this knife maker could use almost any steel it wishes, and yet no aogami super steel. Is there a reason for that? Second question, I really want my nakiri choice to have more of a laser-like cutting quality to it instead of say a lighter Chinese cleaver (e.g. a heavier nakiri). Would one of these two knives fit the bill over another? The Masakages certainly do look very intriguing as well.... While I certainly don't need an aogami super steel edge, I have been very impressed by what I have experienced thus far. I generally know the differences on paper of the various other steels in the nakiris I am looking at (blue #2 and white #1 and #2), but would there really be a noticeable difference between them for the knives I am contemplating???

I am fully prepared to pull the trigger on any of the nakiris that Mark offers, so thanks for the great input you have already given and allowing me to be a bit more greedy by asking a few more questions!

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next