It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:46 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Knives with traditional Japanese handles.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:28 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Mark & Sue,

I have been looking over Chef Knives To Go's website and watching several of the related videos on your line of knives, specifically the Richmond Laser series with Aogomi Super steel.

I am looking to acquire some knives that are a step up from my current hoard of various blades --Henckels Five-Star, Spyderco Pro-Culinaire Series (with MBS-26 blade steel), and various lower-end knives (Ikea, Oxo, etc.). I am already a knife aficionado; I collect pocket and tactical knives, use fixed blade knives and axes outdoors, and shave with straight razors. I have a fairly wide range of sharpening stones and devices to keep steel sharp.

I want to get some knives with traditional Japanese handles rather than Western. I've considered these three to get as a set: Petty 120mm, Nakiri 160mm, & Gyuto 210mm. What is your opinion of that set for a home user that really enjoys fine knives and good, home cooking? I would like to add a way to store these knives too (Richmond knife roll with CKTG cardboard guards?) as I will be limiting their use to me exclusively. Please feel free to give me your honest feedback.

Thanks for your consideration of my questions.

Sincerely,
Chris

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Knives with traditional Japanese handles.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Chris,

Yes those three types and sizes are good for home use. My laser using aogami super steel are excellent and I'm really happy with them but they're carbon steel on the edge so you need to know that the edges on the knives will show patina and they need to be wiped dry after use or they may rust.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:28 pm 
Forum Moderator

Either the Laser Aogami Super series or the Tanaka Sekiso series if you like carbon steels! I have the Tanaka Sekiso 240mm (my favorite gyuto), Tanaka Sekiso 165mm nakiri and 150mm Tanaka Sekiso Petty as my 3 main knives. Also consider the Masakage Yumi series, as are the Goko and are carbon core clad in stainless.

The Yamashin, Tojiro Shirogami/ITK series are nice if you are on a budget and are OK with all carbon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:00 pm 
Forum Moderator

I would recommend a 150mm petty, but that's pure personal preference.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:14 am 

I think the Tojiro DP and ITK series are a great start to getting into Japanese knives... Those knives are like heroin to a knife fan.. once you try one you want more and more and more... Then the addiction starts and you end up going to meetings... "Hi, My name is Jason and I am addicted to Japanese Knives" :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]