It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:33 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 8 of 12 [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Free Giveaway: What was your worst job?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:28 pm 

Grinding Alfalfa hay bales, dad wanted less waste when feeding cows. My job was to spread it in the feeder.

Glen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:54 pm 

Working at a Lifesavers plant one summer during college. "But wait just a minute, Charlie" you say. "That would be awesome. All the free candy you want." To preface this, at the time, I probably weighed a buck thirty soaking wet. I looked like the kid getting sand kicked in his face in the Charles Atlas ads.

My main job was lifting 40 lb lugs of Lifesavers on to a moving conveyor trolley that brought them up to the guy who dumped them into the wrapping machines. Through the course of the day, I lifted the equivalent of two & a half 1966 Pontiac Catalinas. How do I know? Because due to sheer boredom, I counted how many lugs I lifted per day, multiplied it, and divided into the gross weight as per the owners manual.

Just at the point that I was contemplating a horrific, self-induced industrial accident, I was notified that summer maintenance shut-down was occurring and I was being assigned a different job. Yippee! Check that. Got happy too soon.

Job part deux was cleaning out the HVAC system. They had massive air conditioning ducts running throughout the plant. You need to keep the humidity down, or everything starts sticking together. Because I was the smallest and lightest (Here I am. Kick sand in my face), I got to power-wash all the sugar dust out of the duct work. I had to crawl into these ducts and spray them down with near boiling water. In that enclosed space, the heat/humidity levels rivaled SouthEast Asia at it's worst. Additionally, hot sugar water was constantly dripping into my hair and down my back. I could feel each drop leeching out a little bit of my soul.

Thankfully, that job only lasted 89 days; after that you were required to join the union. To this day, a roll of brightly colored Lifesavers cause my biceps to quiver and my spine to ache. On the plus side, it certainly reinforced the notion of getting an education and bettering myself.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:13 am 

Tossup between being a "Gofer" for my dad who is a very grumpy carpet layer, and washing dishes in a busy restaurant.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:56 pm 

SysAdmin, a very thankless job... People loved you when you got things fixed for them, but it was fleeting. I was pulling in 12-16 hour shifts, 7 days a week nonstop... Ever seen a person burn out, truly? It happened to me. Once I was back on my feet, I couldn't go back to my chosen field. Companies don't have a clue how to run an IT department, eventually it just gets outsourced and costs the company 10 times as much as if they just had someone/some people dedicated and equipped with what they need.

-MJ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

Working as an outbound Telemarketer!! :)

Please, don't put me in the contest though. :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:47 pm 

Working for family.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:45 pm 

Default aversion counselor for loans. Rough.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:53 am 
Forum Moderator

No contest for me :) Just a bit of sharing.

At a med school the guy running the anatomy lab (diener) would periodically go on vacation and I would do backup work, primarily for the fresh dissection lab. Unpreserved bodies. After about two or so weeks, the dissected bodies putrified and we would need to cut them up to box them to send to the incinerator. He would normally use a bandsaw (all stainless) but he didn't want anyone using it while he was out of town both for safety reasons and because the little bits of human flesh needed to be completely cleaned up and the bandsaw disassembled and reassembled. So I had to disassemble the bodies manually with scalpel and hacksaw. You'd be surprised how compactly you can pack a human in boxes disjointing them. And how quickly. Think Martin Yan doing chicken :) The worst was cutting through the pelvis using a hacksaw with 'parts' flopping about. Spines weren't so bad. Sometimes I didn't get to doing this chore until 2 or 3 am when the entire building was empty. Of course the sight of fishing out preserved body parts (heads, torsos, etc) for the med school students to dissect that floated up in a big formaldehyde tank like big chicken parts in a dark tea colored liquid wasn't the most pleasant sight either. I also did some experiments where I dissolved body parts in lye solutions, but that was fun. Working with formic acid was probably the most hazardous thing I did - flammable vapors, poisonous, heavier than air so a fire would start at foot level, consuming oxygen and potentially producing carbon monoxide and it can destroy lung tissue and eye tissue quickly and keeps working it's way through tissue rather than just surface burns. I always had multiple phone contacts on standby with an evacuation plan if things went bad - they never did. Dealing with a 55 gal drum of this shit really focuses the mind. I used this stuff to turn tissue into clear gel (decalcify bone) and only in the middle of the night so if a building evac might happen it would involve less people.

More short lived jobs - working in a cement plant (for 1 hour before I quit, coated with powder from head to toe), repairing pump seals with my hands in kerosene all day, and working for a cleaning service lugging this hugh vacuum cleaner / shampooing machine up flights of stairs. After I put the thing through a wall in some poor bastard's house, I thought it a good idea to quit.

This thread really shows a lot of misery ...

---
Ken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:05 am 
Forum Moderator

Honestly Ken, you don't sound like you were too miserable doing it... the disassembling that is. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:59 am 
Forum Moderator

I enjoyed the anatomy work in general, but boxing 'em up wasn't that pleasant, particularly the smell. I did a lot of anatomical research that actually was fascinating, discovering new (previously undiscovered) microanatomical structures, mostly microvascular anatomy.

---
Ken

Page 8 of 12 [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next