It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:21 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Chosera stones
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:53 pm 

I am sick of them cracking..obviously they are too thin. For the money there has to be better stones.

Post subject: Re: Chosera stones
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:30 pm 

Most of the time they are still okay to use even with a crack. I like the Shapton Glass and Nubatama stones for the EP really well. No cracks and Ken makes a generous cut on the Nubatamas I think. I appreaciate that they are quite thick.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:30 am 

I have Shaptons from 500 to 16k. They are about the same price as the Choseras and are splash and go. Very happy with them. I also have Nubatamas up to 10k. They have very good feedback. They are a bit more money and seem to like a bit of pre soaking. Both give superb results. You can't go wrong with either stones.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

noneck180 wrote:I am sick of them cracking..obviously they are too thin. For the money there has to be better stones.

AGREED!!!! I will NOT buy them again!!!

:(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:38 am 

noneck180 wrote:I am sick of them cracking..obviously they are too thin. For the money there has to be better stones.

In my opinion? nothing beats the shapton gs for the edge pro : they cut fast, even m390 or hap40, they wear slower than the chosera and they have a good feedback. The icing on the cake is their price, cheaper than dirt !

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:37 am 
Forum Moderator

I do cut my Choceras a bit on the thick side - New York deli style :) compared to the standard sized Choceras so that may help some BUT

Choceras are Magnesia based stones. This gives them the advantage of a silky smooth feel and they are a bit more accommodating than the harder more precise Shaptons -pro and GS. Magnesia based stones (including the 4k and 6k Ume stones, but not the rest of the Nubatama stones) are a bit more prone to cracking - from rapid drying, sunlight exposure during drying and sometimes just idiosyncracies. I look at it as a tradeoff and definitely don't just outright condemn them at all. I still consider the Chocera stones a premium stone. Personally I have never had one (Choceras or Superstones or the two Nubatamas I mentioned) crack on me, but I have had it happen (Choceras) to some customers of mine. It is a rare occurrence IMO.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]