It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:08 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 7 of 12 [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Free Giveaway: What was your worst job?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:45 pm 

Working at a box factory for a while. Very low pay for very hard work. Fingers and hands would get cut up all the time folding the boxes and stacking them. Crummy job. Much happier cooking.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:34 pm 
Site Admin

My worst job (and most interesting) was working for 2 weeks on a scallop boat out of New Bedford. We were out fishing about 70 miles of the coast of Main and of course had a nice storm hit us. I puked and worked, puked and worked shucking and picking scallops until my forearm hurt so much I couldn't lift a gallon of milk. They had a name for it "the grip". :)

During the storm there were moments when the boat would ride down into the trough between the choppy waves where there were mountains of water taller than the boat. I thought we were going to die.

All this fun for $600 after 2 weeks.

Here's a picture of me on the boat. I'm 16 and I'm on the right. We found a watch in the stateroom and sent it down to the bottom of the ocean on the dredge. That's what the sign is for. They used to have these ads for times "it takes a licking and keeps on ticking"

Oh I wish I had all that hair....

The shirt was from the job I quit immediately before I started on the boat. :)

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:45 pm 

A removal job with flu.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:23 pm 

Lobster pound

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:02 pm 

The summer between Junior and Senior year in highschool. Driving green metal fence posts into Georgia red clay. We had been in a drought for a few years. Needless to say, the clay might as well have been concrete. I probably drove a mile of fence posts. Hard work.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:32 pm 

I may have a winner. Castrating pigs. Yes, you need a very sharp knife for this.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:44 pm 

Psychic for Ms. Cleo the 1-900 number queen. Oh wait, now that I think about it, despite never being paid, this was the best job I ever had. It was HILARIOUS. I mean I feel a bit sorry for the people with problems that where wasteing their hard earned money thinking my room mates or I could see their future. Most of the time though The things they talked about where just plain insane. I wish I could do it again, just for one night to get the thrill of providing made up advice to people who really needed some kind of help.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:47 am 

starbucks :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:00 am 

Scaffolder... I'm surely not built for that kind of work, physically or mentally. It was three awful weeks before I left.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:00 pm 

I worked as a Brick Layers Labourer in Australia for 3 months.
It was brutal, I had to carry a load of bricks, (the exact same number of bricks in every load) to the two masons who were building the homes. Not so bad on the bottom floors but as the walls got higher the work got harder and harder.
I still have nightmares about it.'
Peter

Page 7 of 12 [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next