It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:13 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Looking for a workhorse
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:08 pm 
Site Admin

Mark,

After reading several reviews on your site I wanted to ask you a few questions. The main reason I decided to email you is I saw your name mentioned in several reviews on how you are very knowledgeable and I read your about us page as well.

I am a Professional chef and I have two main topics to ask you about. The first is, I am looking for a very high quality knife that can stand up to very large amounts of usage. I use my knives everyday for several hours and sometimes will use the same one all day, such as cutting cases of vegetables. I currently use the Morimoto Miyabi knives by Henckels. I absolutely love the 7'" santoku it has the perfect handle, weight, and blade thickness for me. However it seems to lose its edge rather fast. I have also not found one best brand to fit my style yet. While I love this Miyabi santoku I am not a huge fan of the chef knife because it does not have the weight for some heavier projects. My question is what do you recommend based on what I have described? I have looked over your site and I am interested in some of the handmade knives I think the brand was Takeda. In case you are wondering about price I am really open as I want to get the best bang for my buck and I know this is an inve
stment.

The second topic is sharpening. I received a few Miyabi stones for a gift and have had great success with them but I really want to take my knife sharpening to the next level. I currently have the 400, 3000, and 5000 stones. The other stones in the set are very expensive the 10000 stone is $400 alone. I did some research on this site and I could buy the very good edge pro set for the price of this one stone (which seems to have very good reviews) Just looking for some advice with this. Again I do not care to spend the money I just want to make a great investment not a good one.

Thank you for your time.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Looking for a workhorse
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:09 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Dustin,

Are you right handed?
Do you know how to sharpen?
Do you like to rock the knife or push cut primarily?
Do you want a stainless knife?
Do you want to get a western handled knife or Japanese handle?
How much did you want to spend?

Do you mind if I post your question on our forum?

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:09 pm 
Site Admin

Mark,
I am right handed.
I use both techniques depending on the knife but I use a rocking motion less.
I am open to stainless or not. I know maintenance is easier with stainless.
I do tend to prefer a Japanese style handle and weight is very important to me. A heavy handle is unacceptable

I am open to sending a few hundred on a knife I'f it is the right knife.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:14 pm 
Site Admin

This knife is stainless clad with an aogami super steel (carbon) edge so it's easy to maintain but gives you the benefit of top shelf steel on the edge. It's a great wa gyuto workhorse and I think it's just what you're looking for: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kagigy24.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:07 pm 
Site Admin

Kanehiro makes a knife in Ginsanko which is fully stainless too and that would also be a good choice.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:59 am 
Forum Moderator

So the Henckels uses Vg10 which isn't the best at edge holding. I would search for something like Mark linked to. Something with a good carbon core, or search for a knife with a good powdered steel.... These assume your main goal is edge holding. Cpm154, S35Vn, Hitachi white or blue, etc. The Hiromoto AS is a good choice, as is the Goko.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:13 am 

I use a Richmond Artifex as my daily knife at work and I absolutely love it. Not heavy, but not not the lightest either. And it holds a really sharp edge for quite some time. Another one that is joy to work with is the Richmond Addict. Great steel (cpm-154), holds the edge forever, and is super strong. Nice and light too with an octoganal rosewood handle. Not really trying to solicite but pm me if your interested in the Addict. Ive got a 240mm id like to find a new home for.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:05 pm 

I am currently looking at the knife that mark recommended. But I was also curious about the takdea brand of knives. Any infomismappreciated.

I also looked over some of the Richmond knives as well

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:24 pm 
Site Admin

What can you tell me about nubatama knives?

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:27 pm 
Site Admin

Ken Schwartz wrote this:

Nubatama is a word that means 'Black' It is a subtle word, implying a beautiful black and also implying a characteristic of hardness. This word has ancient origins, being used in the earliest existing works of Japanese poetry. The Manyoshu a collection of poems compiled around 759 AD, includes several poems going back to 347 AD. You can find references using the word 'nubatama' in several tanka or short poems in this collection. There is also the association of the beautiful jet black hair of a beautiful woman. So these characteristics accurately describe the intentions of the knifemaker - a knife made of black steel, a deep sense and respect for ancient Japanese traditions, a sense of beauty and hardness describing the characteristics of this steel. A 'Black beauty'.

The knives are made by a knifemaker whose family has been making knives for generations. While the details are a closely guarded secret, the steel itself is considerably more expensive than the blue or white steels and more difficult to work, yet produces a superb result. It is the highest quality of steel that the knifemaker uses. These knives are individually made. In addition, he also uses both white and blue steels, which are less expensive. Even here, his white steel forging processes are distinctive to optimize the steel's characteristics. Before shipping, the knives are sharpened by a sword polisher (another individual).

The double beveled knives are clad, which allows the steel to be tempered to a harder level. Edge retention is outstanding. This has been the opinion of chefs both here in the USA and in Kyoto. Touchups are easy and rarely needed compared to most other knives.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next