It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:18 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 5 of 12 [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Free Giveaway: What was your worst job?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:32 am 

I hope this is a drawing, rather than a competition -- because there's no way I'm going to top some of these. Here's a stab, though....

I've had some pretty crappy jobs. One highlight was a stint working the graveyard shift cleaning fire/smoke damage in a warehouse -- I was at the top of a 75-foot cherrypicker, being steered around by a twitchy ex-con on the ground. The worst, though, was probably in a greasy hot dog place -- a cherished mom-n-pop (carhops, black and white tile, etc.) that was a complete dive once you looked behind the counter. One day there was a rattling sound in the hood, and a rat fell down, right onto the flattop full of burgers. The cook on the line (who disappeared a week later -- something to do with the mysterious death of her girlfriend...) nearly severed it with one whack of a spatula, but in its death throes it still managed to flail across multiple burgers and catapult into the fryer. She fished it out with the same spatula, flicked it into the trash, and kept flipping burgers -- and the cigarette glued to her bottom lip never even wobbled.

Bad day for the rat, but everybody still got their burgers on time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:40 am 

Probably working for a county road yard one summer between high school and college. Basically walked up and down roads as they were layin asphalt out the big rocks that got mixed in. Hot asphalt and 120* weather made it lots of fun!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:54 am 

dishwasher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:12 am 

Working commercial construction job digging trenches/ditches, with a pick and shovel, in a 100+° Texas summer. It was brutal back breaking work with a heat stroke always hovering nearby.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:30 am 

Working as a cashier for Schlitterbahn.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:37 am 

I was offered a job in Northern Wisconsin that was a big step up for me. They moved my entire family up there and the day I was going to start it they rescinded the offer. At the time I was working in the corporate world in the middle of a small town and there were not any jobs available. Therefore, I took what I could get to bring in some money. Therefore, I worked at Jenny-O turkey factory for six months. I worked from the start of the process where they brought in the turkeys and I watched them killed. We had to slice their throats and pluck what feathers were remaining after the high heat pressure treatment. Then I worked in other stations where the temperature was always below 34 degrees where I handled turkey guts all day and packaged them. I also packaged what items did not make the cut for retail and packaged them to be sent to dog food factories. This is not a made up story... That was my worst job...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:44 am 

Clearing water closet discharge pipe with bare hand because there is a cat RIP in there.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:22 am 

I was the chef manager for the ****** ********* Factories in Milwaukee. I had three locations, three shifts a day. I was salaried. If someone called in sick, didn't show up, or we had an event, etc...I had to cover.

For months, I slept in my office and often worked 48 hours straight. I did a 7 day stretch twice, during rally times. I lived on 32 oz. cups of coffee, locker room showers, and crappy cafeteria food...

We had a monthly meeting with factory reps, to give us progress reports, suggestions, etc...after some fat, old, grumpy, greasy dude proceeded to tell me that our breakfast selection was stagnant, I stood in my sleep deprived stooper and basically told him to shove it where the sun doesn't shine. HR didn't like that too much; although I didn't get terminated, I guess I was in line for a promotion, and I flushed that down the toilet, shucks...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:37 am 

Subway- when I first went to LSU, my buddy was working at Subway and said it was fun. I thought it would be decent enough, but the one we worked at stayed open til 4AM on weekends, and the manager was horrible. She would mess up in the morning and blame our shift. Well we worked from 8PM until 4 AM with no customers and no chance to even mess up. Eventually, it got so boring, we brought our CD player and jammed out to heavy metal all night. One night we played air guitars on the table and some not-too-amused customers walked in. It was horrible. I left after one week. Only job I ever left without notice, and the only job I ever had a bad experience with.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:15 am 

worked as a web designer. had a boss that made me work on christmas day. the man had a sucky family life and wanted company while he was at work when everyone else was at home. the day after i tendered my resignation and never looked back. what sucked was i sat right next to the guy and i couldn't make a move without him knowing.

i would understand if you were a cook and christmas day was a full day of work but when you just sit there and do absolutely nothing, that would just be a great big waste of time and money.

Page 5 of 12 [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next