It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:52 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Tetsuhiro or Hiromoto AS?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:59 pm 

Hey all,

So im looking into getting my first carbon knife and im considering either the tetsuhiro or the hiromoto as. Im interested in these types because of the stainless cladding as I which to play around with one as a line knife. I know many people rave about the hiromoto and I know a few cooks who swear by them but im curious about the tetsuhiro and if anyone on here has experience with one. Just wanted to hear some testimonials on both knives and if anyone can weigh any pros or cons. Thanks! Cheers!

-Chad

Post subject: Re: Tetsuhiro or Hiromoto AS?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:11 pm 
Forum Moderator

I've only ever seen the western handle stuff and they seemed a lot like the Hiromoto AS but thinner slightly.

Never used it though...so just surface observations.

If I was going to get something like that, I'd go Tetsuhiro based on what I saw though as long as I could find the style I wanted.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:37 am 
Forum Moderator

Depends which Tetsuhiro you are talking about. The handhammered white #1 is thicker than a Hiromoto, but at least as thin, maybe thinner behind the edge as a Hiromoto. The regular clad Tetsuhiro (blue#2 I believe) is thinner all around, and much more like a Tojiro DP. The Construction isn't as nice as a Hiromoto, but it may perform a little better.

All that being said, I'd probably prefer the Tetsuhiro blue #2 if I were looking for something more like a laser, and the Hiromoto for something that has more potential and a better fit and finish.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:06 am 

I was refering to the blue #2 model. After seeing your video it really got me interested in that knife. In regards to the Hiromoto, what do you mean by "more potential"?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

I reckon he means he likes the AS more....he's a steel snob!! :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:09 am 
Forum Moderator

I prefer the term "sommelier of cutlery," but to each his own... :ugeek:

But, also, the scales and handle on the Hiromoto just seem a little more well made. I prefer the blade weight also, but some people prefer the thinness, which the Tetsuhiro definitely has out of the box.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:27 pm 

Lol, somellier of cutlery! Love it!. Anyways, thanks for the info guy's I really appreciate it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:13 pm 

As far as potential goes, the Hiromoto AS has a pretty hardcore following for folks that thin the blade on it. I guess it becomes a very different knife. I got my Hiro from Dave Martell and he had already done the blade thinning on it. I find it to be an awesome knife.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:15 pm 

I'm hoping to do mine soon....just waiting a little long before I send it out so I can get a good base line of how it feels. I will be having Shaun do the work on it when I do.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:19 pm 

DieselHardware wrote:I'm hoping to do mine soon....just waiting a little long before I send it out so I can get a good base line of how it feels. I will be having Shaun do the work on it when I do.

I'm sure you'll love it!

Page 1 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next