It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:38 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Nakiri recommendation wanted.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

Mark,

I’m looking at buying a nakiri knife sometime in the near future and need some help to choose one.

I want a wa-handled knife of no less than 160mm blade length, with either a stainless/semi-stainless/carbon edge and stainless cladding. I want to spend about $200 with flexibility to go a bit higher for something that offers a performance benefit.

Three knives you have on your site that interest me are:
Masakage Yuki 165mm Nakiri;
Fujiwara Nashiji 165mm Nakiri; and
Tetsuhiro Hammered White #1 165mm Nakiri.

Any information you can provide on the comparative out of the box sharpness/performance, edge retention, robustness and fit/finish of the knives would be appreciated. Any other suggestions would also be appreciated.

I was also wondering if you expect to have stocks of the Konosuke HD and HH nakiri knives again in the future.

Regards
Ken

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Nakiri recommendation wanted.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:41 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Ken,

Judging from your question and the knives you listed I would go with either the Tetsuhiro or Masakag.
The Tetsuhiro has better finish. The Masakage is sharper out of the box. I have a crush on the Tetsuhiro hammered knives. That's the one I would pick.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:38 pm 

The Tetsuhiro looks really nice.

One thing I am wondering, is why some of the maker's don't expose more of the core edge? I've seen some knives with a good, healthy 1/4" of the core exposed and other with what looks like 2-3 millimeters? On a ~50 mil knife, what happens when you eventually reach the cladding?

Is a person supposed to regrind the knife to expose more of the core? Just wondering Mark...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:03 pm 

Sorry if the answers obvious, but, still wondering...?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:39 pm 

Re-grind, no, thin yes. The idea is to thin the bevel the same amount, or the same rate as you remove steel from the edge, as you thin the core steel will become more exposed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:27 am 

That makes sense Kalaeb. This is essentially what is happening with my first Nakiri. After a good while of use, and being my first Japanese knife to get used to and sharpen(tanaka), the core is down to ~ 2mm. Even after thinning it (due to sharpening), i can still see the clad line slightly(when it patinas)? I've been waiting for it to disappear. :) Maybe it never will...

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]