It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:28 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Request for input.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:53 am 

I am shortly going to be making some Wa handles for the site. I will be making most out of stabilized burl wood pieces, but will also throw some "plain" woods into the mix for the purist out there.

My question for you fine folks is what type of ferrule materials do you prefer? I can do blackwood, g10, paper micarta, buffalo horn or just contrasting stabilized woods.

Keep in mind I am trying to price these as low as possible, so no mammoth.

Let me know what you guys like and I will try to make it happen.

Thanks, Matt

Post subject: Re: Request for input.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:34 am 
Forum Moderator

MATT <> As one of the "purists," function is most important; aesthetics are a collateral issue. I like raw wood handles as I find the grain to provide grip. I like Ho as its super lightweight. I have and have sold off Rosewood handled knives as I love a simple look, but they are/were heavier than their Ho counterparts. I have used the "ebony" Konosuke handles, and to be honest - they just make me mad; too heavy, and they look dyed, unnatural, like they were from a machine...

Ferrules... same thing. Whatever will do its job most efficiently for the least amount of money.

There have been numerous knives @CKTG that I was extremely disappointed in having to refrain from buying because they were all blinged out. To me, these are tools, not cabinet queens wearing jewelry... ;)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:57 am 

Nothing wrong with tools that look and work good. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:17 am 
Forum Moderator

...opinions vary. They may work well, but compromising potential for aesthetics is poor decision making in my world... four-walled or not.

What's wrong:
    They attract unnecessary attention.
    They add nothing in function - in fact, detract:
    added weight
    less grip
    They're exorbitantly expensive.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:49 am 

I had planned on making some more simple handles( although I can't match the simplicity of Ho),I know there are numerous individuals who prefer it. As far as weight goes, I try to hollow the body of the handle to compensate for increase in density.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:02 am 

Aww, I was hoping someone would finally give me my rhino horn ferrule.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

MATT <> I was simply throwing in my 2 cents for the survey; wasn't necessarily a request.

As for the hollowing the body... awesome :) , as long as it doesn't sacrifice structural integrity.

Regarding plain woods... I honestly haven't held a score of different premium woods to compare & contrast in the tactile sense of functionality, but I personally like the look of Rosewood... I like the look of Purpleheart.. I like the look of some CocoBolo. I like the look of simple unassuming muted grains, or at least, grains w/o drastically contrasting variations. The louder it is, the less I prefer them...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:08 am 

I am excited to hear that someone wants to make handles that are not so expensive!! I really like all the custom handles I have seen, but I probably couldn't afford any of the, lol. I am just a home cook with a wife and two kids. I just told myself custom handles were only for professionals. I would really like to afford a custom handle.

Keep us posted!!!!

Gary II

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:32 am 

Honestly, I love grainy wood. I love all the burl woods, but I also can't afford to have a bunch of stuff rehandled. I'm not sure if the wood is a big part of the cost or if it is just a small portion. If there is a big difference in the cost of the wood, I am a hard core fan of old growth oak and birds eye maple. Not sure the birds eye would be much cheaper, but a nice tight grained oak would work for me. Something nice clean and not a lot of money for a daily use knife. Let us know what you come up with and I'd love to see some examples of your work.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]