It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:24 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: >> Hollow grind : Full Wedge <<
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

Wow. I tried a full wedge for the first time as the hollow grinds have been just so uncomfortable. Apparently, my thick ass beard is not suited to hollow ground edges... as it has been explained to me.

My shave last night consisted of 60 hanging leather strop laps, a hot shower, I used hair conditioner on my beard in the shower, pre-treated with Art of Shaving Lavender Pre-Shave oil, lathered w/Bald Frog shave soap, applied w/an awesome MG Designs 24mm silvertip in billet aluminum, I had to refresh the edge before I went across the grain w/20 hanging leather strop laps mid-shave, I did a hot water rinse, then a cold water pore quench, of course a styptic pencil treatment :lol: , finished up with some Art of Shaving Lavendar After-Shave oil, and all for a Thomas Turner Full wedge that created a shave experience that was, for the first time, less than horrible. Still cut up, still razor burned, still not an incredibly close shave, but the first major improvement... trying a wedge made a noticeable difference for me.

ANY INPUT FOR THE STRUGGLING NEWB.?! ;)

Post subject: Re: >> Hollow grind : Full Wedge <<
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:53 am 

I guess the only advice is - if it's working for you, keep using it. Takes a lot of shaves to get comfortable with all of this stuff. Along the way, take it easy and don't over think it. If the Wedge is your friend, then roll with it.
1.) it's not usual to have to strop mid-shave. You might want to look at your technique. Your blade angle might be too high. Could be the edge is in need of a tune-up.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

GAMMA <> My technique is surely unrefined as I only have around ten total straight shaves under my belt... I'm a total newb w/straights.

The edge I'm confident is true as I received two freshly honed edges from a competent source. My stropping would be the only variable in the edge, and as I've been sharpening kitchen knives for 20 years I'm fairly confident Im not rounding them out.

The mid-shave strop was a suggestion I received under the premise that as I have such a thick beard w/cross grain shaves being extremely difficult, that it might help.

I've always had extremely sensitive facial skin, and received horrible razor burn from electric shavers and bad burn off cartridges my whole life until the Gillette Fusion came out. With a Fusion, I can get a perfect shave in under 2 minutes w/o even a hint of burn... its really a remarkable cartridge. Two minutes is all I have when I work, and I work almost everyday. Yet still, I'm dedicated to the straight to see how long it takes me to make this work. In all honesty, I am a bit of a masochist...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:04 pm 

Here is my only tip....skip the Art of Shaving pre shave oil. The stuff is crap. I used it twice and have never had worse razor burns. Never again.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:09 pm 

Okay, one more suggestion, maybe try a flat strop like you do for your knives instead of a hanging and use very light pressure. Reduce from 60 to 30 well executed trailing passes.

I started using a leather backed paddle strop loaded with co and had very noticeable differences.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:34 am 
Forum Moderator

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]