It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:33 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Tamahagane, Lamson ??
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:25 pm 

Hi. Wondering why Tamahagane knives are not talked about much, if at all and why Lamson doesn't have any knives on the site, seeing that they make the Richmonds. What can you guys tell me about the Tamahagane? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Tamahagane, Lamson ??
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:40 am 
Forum Moderator

RAIBEAUX <> I can't answer for Mark as to why he chooses to carry whichever lines he does, but Lamson knives are not particularly esteemed. Simply lower price point cutlery, and you get what you pay for. Furthermore, they do not make the Richmonds... they make some Richmonds.

I own a few Tamahaganes & have sold a few... damascus & tsuchime. I reckon, they're not talked about as they're softer steel @59Rc & they're all Yo. Soft by no means, but softer than higher price point cutlery. I find them to take beautiful edges with retention that defies their Hrc, and their forge creates a real durable VG-5 steel. Nothing outstandingly negative to say about them, and I use my 95mm petty everyday in my line-up. Great little knife with very nice attributes...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:30 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Tamahagane's have two serious flaws in my book....they're too soft and they use Tamahagane as a name. That's like calling a Ford Fiesta a Formula One car.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:07 pm 

ROFL!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:03 pm 
Site Admin

Ya I think the name Tamahagane was a big mistake. I also think the knives could be a little harder. I think these are going to go away. I'm trying to focus on less seki stuff and more small maker stuff.

As for Lamson, I told them I would add their knives to our site when they started making better stuff and they're working on 2 lines right now that will work for me. The one I'm most interested in is a western line made with XHP. They're doing an Artifex type line too with AEB-L that I might pick up.

I have something else cooking with them right now that might be really popular. Too early to open my big trap about it. I have too many ideas and not enough time.....

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:19 pm 

OK, thanks. I was just curious. Actually I'm just getting into this knife thing, and still learning how to use the EP Pro. Haven't been able to bring myself to use the new ones I already got (Artifex 210, Kikuichi TKC 240, gyutos). I did cut a few thin rounds of baby carrot, though, with the Artifex. Still just looking at the Kikuichi.

Was in a Japanese restaurant this week and a 30-year sushi chef visiting from New Orleans and I got to talking. It was almost closing and there were only two of us customers in the restaurant besides him. Also, the best sushi I've eaten.

He showed me his knives and asked me how I liked mine. When I told him I haven't started using them yet, he crawled me up one side and down the same side again. Didn't really understand every word, but I think he was telling me to take the damned things to the restaurant and use them, and quit fiddle-fartin' around. By the way, how do you say "dumb-ass" in Japanese?

Thanks again for the help.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:45 pm 
Site Admin

hahah. Don't worry about what he said. They're your knives. Use them however and whenever you want. :)

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:28 am 

That's right! My sentiments perxactly! Besides, mine are waaay shinier than his were. And he doesn't even own an Edge Pro. He was a pretty cool dude, though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

Adam Marr wrote:"Tamahagane's have ... serious flaws in my book.... they use Tamahagane as a name. That's like calling a Ford Fiesta a Formula One car."

...ain't that the truth!

-------
chefknivestogo wrote:"I have too many ideas and not enough time..."

Sign of genius... ;)

-------
Raibeaux wrote:"That's right! My sentiments perxactly! Besides, mine are waaay shinier than his were. And he doesn't even own an Edge Pro. He was a pretty cool dude, though."

I have to interpret that as satyrical jest as you must know he does not need nor want an Edge Pro...Image

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:45 pm 

Yepper, a little satire hones the mind. Old saying about opening my mouth and proving I'm nutz, or keeping it closed and making them wonder. This way I can do both.

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next