It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:19 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 3 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Drink much?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:53 pm 

Just promise me you don't sharpen any knives after you've had a few. I've been there with the alcoholic bit. I was always a fan of anything good on the rocks as others have mentioned. I also loved it when strong beers like Dogfish 90 min IPA, and Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout started to become available. I dabbled into home brewing, and I'm glad I did. I learned a lot about fermentation which is also how we get bread, cheese, kimchi/saeurkraut, many sausages, etc....

I found that I started to lean toward sugary drinks, which is probably where the diabetes comes from. Enjoy in moderation, just like anything else. For now I will try things for taste, but 1 taste is enough. Any more and I'll find myself passed out in the woods somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:24 pm 

Shaun,

I didn't know you live in LA... I grew up a portion of my life in Gretna... before it got to be a really really tough neighborhood. Man do I miss crawfish boils and strawberry festivals... not to mention going to parades during mardi gras... I remember preparing for the Zulu parade like it was just yesterday. I don't hear a cajun draw from you in your videos though...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:09 pm 
Forum Moderator

Busted! lol, yes indeed, I lost my "ya't" when I moved to the North shore. Terrible thing, I know, but now everybody treats me like a tourist... which kinda ticks me off sometimes to be honest. After a beer or 2 the ya't starts to come out, and all my North shore friends start looking at me funny. ;)

I actually lived in Marrero for a little bit, and oh man, the crawfish hit early this year too with the mild winter. I only got them once because the dang things are going $3/lb all day, and you know you need at least a good 10 pounds for yourself. Got my trap license but didn't have enough time/money to get my traps built this year, so time for that next year. I might actually take some pics while I"m building them for everyone to see. Good to know we got some 'Who'dat Nation' in the mix now! :D

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:17 am 

<Shaun> The Laphroaig you tried is an Islay Scotch which personally does not agree with me. Different Scotch whiskies from different regions can taste quite a bit different. I prefer Speyside (eg. Balvenie, Glenlivet and Macallan which is my favorite) or Highland region ( eg. Glenmorangie I like). I have a friend who prefers the Islays. Different strokes for different folks! Try them all. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:57 am 

I'm definitely a beer drinker over anything else. But--

For what it's worth, we did a tasting of a out 30 scotches a few years back at a cigar shop I used to work at. There was a good representation of a broad range of scotch. From ~$40 a bottle all the way to $400 (a few guys insisted on flaunting their checkbooks.)

The winner of the blind taste test was overwhelmingly Dalmore Cigar Malt. Even the dudes that raved about the hyper-expensive hooch " they brought" picked the $40 Dalmore as their favorite.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:33 pm 

Shaun, are you a member at Costco? Are they able to sell booze where you are? Look for some really good deals on scotch there bottled on the Kirkland label.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

I have yet to see a Costco in Louisiana, but just read that they are trying to build one about an hour away in New Orleans. I can't imagine the store doing great with the high level of theft in the area, but I've been wrong more than once.... :D

There's a couple of wholesale stores in the area, I'll have a look at them when after this current bottle gets passed the halfway mark. I imagine about 2 weeks or so, I'm a relatively light drinker although I do drink frequently.. but not often.. if that makes sense. :mrgreen:

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:07 pm 

Costco has their system down pretty well. One way in and one way out, each basket exiting is checked by loss prevention people and I am sure they know what to look for as far as taking stuff out of the warehouse on your person. All in all it's a better, slightly more upscale version of Sam's Club. Looks like there are quite a few Sam's in LA.

Page 3 of 3 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3