It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:20 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Edge Profile
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:13 pm 

All I can think of now is a carpenter pushing a piece of plywood through a table saw to trim it. One hand stays straight to keep everything precise. The other hand veers off to one side to remove the scrap. But table saws are 50/50? Next time I'm at a sushi joint I'll ask.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:19 pm 

So it appears that edge profile is just a matter of preference that may or may not have validity??? That is about as clear as mud :) I am learning so much from your posts... please keep it up..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

But at a sushi restaurant, when they're using a yanagi, that's nothing like using a double bevel knife no matter it's asymmetry.

Those knives, deba/yanagi/usuba being the big three, have very specific tasks. Fileting/breaking down fish, cutting raw fish, veggie prep. Why they are shaped the way they are is easily explainable.

A double bevel gyuto (even the most asymmetrically ground one's) do not have one or two specific tasks they're made for. They're "universal" knives. Although the term "gyuto" translates to roughly "cow blade" or "cow knife". But, they're not marketed as a single purpose "cow" knife. They're marketed as a replacement for a western chef's knife. So why they're ground asymmetrically is not clear.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:55 pm 

I as only one cook amongst millions can filet a whole salmon, bass, etc with my toshiro gyuto. after getting rid of any scales, veg prep with the same knife is no prolem. Anything more detailed then a simple julienne is done with a mandolin I have never broken down a fish enough to make a "sushi" plate. I'm sure there is something to ii, but I can't see it. I would love to see this topic go to more experts.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:13 pm 
Forum Moderator

I guess I don't understand your reply, sorry.

I can do everything a yanagi, a deba, and a usuba can do with a gyuto....but that's neither the point or the question.

The question at hand is why are knives ground with varying degrees of asymmetry.

You mentioned a sushi restaurant, which, if traditional in nature, will use primarily yanagi/deba/usuba for most all of their knife needs. None of these are ground in a fashion that the OP was asking about.

And even though they are technically ground asymmetrical, they're not used any thing like a gyuto/chef's knife. That's why there are some 800+/- Japanese knife styles. Their knives are most often made for a very specific task. I've made many a plate of sushi and used all of the traditional knives fairly extensively....and I can understand why they are the way they are.

What I can't understand, and what I've never seen explained by someone who's opinion I would be sure knew WTF they were talking about, is why a gyuto is ground asymmetrically. To complicate the question, why are some ground 80/20, some 70/30, some 60/40?!?!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:29 pm 

@Adam, I'm sorry. After re-reading my post, it makes no sense to me at all either. I was elluding to a lack of understanding as to why any chef would require such a specialized set of knives. I do understand that I don't know everything, let alone anything :) I hope you don't think I was trying to blast you. I assure you I was only trying to expand the depth of the question.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

No worries Jack....I love a good conversation about kitchen knives and have took nothing personally. :)

To broach your question.....I've come to more or less understand the use of the "big three". That being yanagi/deba/usuba. And I can even understand the regional differences between them. They do what they're meant to do very well. And to the Japanese, sushi is nearly (or maybe is considered) an art form. They've made the perfect knife to slice raw fish thinly without tearing it. Each knife is designed to do a very few specific tasks extremely well. I cannot cut sushi as well with a sujihiki as I can with a yanagi.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:15 pm 

I can only imagine that its a novelty. Extra resistance from friction will pull certain foods in one direction, which is great for certain tasks. So perhaps making a "japanese ground knife" or something of that nature helps with appeal.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:21 pm 

@Adam again, not to hijack thread but feeling its realevent. Around 800 styles of knives? as a 3 knife devote who would love to see more, is there any resource of information online I can access that covers this?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:13 am 
Forum Moderator

Has anyone tried an asymmetrical ground knife vs a 50/50 knife in the same profile to see how they cut compared to each other?

Page 2 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next