It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:23 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Stone set reccomendation
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:56 pm 

Hey Folks,

I am new to sharpening and looking into getting my first set of stones. Im looking for splash and go stones and preferably ones that also dry fast. At the moment i am considering the Arashiyama 4 piece set or a 1k and 5k Naniwa SS. I will also be purchasing a lapping plate and stone holder. Anyway's just wanted some input on these and if anyone has any reccomendations other than these. I for sure want stones that are splash and go, and hopefully one's that also dry quickly. My sharpening time is limited because my wife just had a baby, so if any of these stones make quick work out of it that would be great too. Thanks everyone!

-Chad

Post subject: Re: Stone set reccomendation
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:54 pm 

I have the Arashiyama 4 piece set. Splash and go and they soak up little water so they dry quickly. They cut quick and dish slow. I think you would like them better than the Naniwa SS because they are a harder stone.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

The other obvious option is the GlassStones from Shapton. Never used the Arashiyama's, so I can't comment on them.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:25 pm 

I was considering the glass stones also. I have some concerns with them though because from what ive read, they cut really really fast, which is what I want but am a little afraid cause im inexperienced with sharpening, and that I wont get the "feel" with those stones. But maybe im wrong

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:38 pm 

I was considering the glass stones also. I have some concerns with them though because from what ive read, they cut really really fast, which is what I want but am a little afraid cause im inexperienced with sharpening, and that I wont get the "feel" with those stones. But maybe im wrong

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:24 pm 

+1 on Glass stones.
I got my 1k 4k GS after only sharpening for about 6 months and after maybe 2 sessions on the stones I was in love. helped to develop a burr wicked quick and the 4k leaves a pretty decent finish. Also love how hard they are. nice crisp edges.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:48 pm 

I have a 320, 1K, and 4K GS . . . I think they are great stones to start on and i use my 320 and 1K all the time. I didn't really care for the 4K and since I have experience now I ended up going with a softer Suehiro Rika 5000 Grit which is really nice.

I like the glass stones because they are smaller and easier to store, dish very slowly, and being that they are hard they are good to learn on.

"Fast Cutting" is a relative term and shouldn't really be a concern.

Really, the five piece set is a really good way to get started, but I see that Mark is out of stock. Therefore, I think a nice three stone starter set could be the SG 320, SG 1000, and Suehiro Rika 5000 Grit (I just like the finish of this stone better). I would recommend only stropping on the Suehiro Rika until you can not gouge the softer stone with edge leading strokes.

Of course a flattener and holder. The combo is not a bad way to start but I have upgraded my XXC flatening plate to an Atoma XXC (140) which is an awesome way to not only flatten stones but really remove some metal if you need to get after it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

The GlassStones don't cut supercalafragilisticexpealladochus faster than other stones.....if at all.

That shouldn't be a concern with here.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:50 pm 

Well thanks for all the input guy's. I think im sold on the GS. In more question, will a universal stone holder work with those stones? They look super thin so im just curious. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:00 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yes, it still works. I think that as you get to the end of the stone, you might need to put a small piece in there to elevate the glass plate a touch to use that last bit of the stone.....or cut some of the rubber off the stone holder.....but that'll be years from now.

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next