It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:20 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Edge Profile
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:40 pm 

What are the best applications and reasons to purchase various edge profiles... Almost everyone is comfortable with a 50/50 edge, but there are a lot of variations on this sight. Why would one purchase a 70/30 or a 99/1 over a 50/50?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Edge Profile
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:36 pm 
Forum Moderator

Why the Japanese grind asymmetrically is beyond me and I've never found, read, or seen a legitimate reason for them doing so.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

I thought an asymmetric edge was supposed to be slightly thinner?

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:07 am 
Forum Moderator

The asymmetry is supposed to get the edge closer to the item being cut for a finer, thinner cut. The Yanagiba is an example of this; the hollow back and the edge close to the hollow back means that the edge is very close to the food being cut. On some Japanese knives, the right side is more strongly ground/convexed and the left side is a bit flatter/shallower ground. This moves the actual edge to the left of the knife blade when looking at the choil. Most people hold the food in their left hand and cut with the right, so the stronger convexing on the right would help slices fall away from the blade. This should let the slices be thinner theoretically but I am not sure if it has practical advantages or not.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:40 am 

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showt ... id/784639/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:50 am 

There is an attatchment you can click on that has a good visual. I think Tim said it well. THEORETICALLY Asymetric edges should start the cut better. But the actual grind of the knife is much more important in how it continues through the product.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:04 pm 
Forum Moderator

But that's all speculation. Not that I disagree with it, but it's still speculation.

It is true that in a right hand asymmetrically ground knife, the edge is close to the left side....but why it's done is speculation unless some one has heard from the makers why they do this.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:17 pm 

I have no answers, but things to think about. How are edges ground on x-acto knives, band saws, scalpels, etc. I'm almost 80% sure I have seen other examples of asymmetry in the grinds of things besides chef knives.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:53 pm 

Jack,

That is an awesome question. X-acto and even box cutters are some sharp blades. Anyone know the edge profile on these blades?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:06 pm 

It depends on the X-acto blade. There are what appear to be 50/50 and some i know that are a flat 90/10 chisel ground type.

The reason these knives are so sharp are because the blade is SOOOOO thin. Much Much thinner than any Laser around. But also too thin for a large blade and disposable because the steel is crappy and meant to be replaced because it doesnt hold an edge. Think Kiwi knives.

The standard scalpel looking blades look to be 50/50 gound with a wide primary bevel and a secondary bevel that is somewhat asymmetrical. This made me look at my box of replacements. After 10-12 examples it looks like any asymmetry is just the inconsistency of the machine ground blades.

Edit: Can you picture yourself sharpening your boxcutter on your high grade waterstones?

Page 1 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next