It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:55 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Drink much?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well, this is turning into a cool little thread! I was hoping we could add some more "foodie" aspects to our forum, and what a great way, have drink!

So I've gotten my list down to either Talisker 10, Laphroaig 10, or Lagaluvin 12. I'm leaning more towards Talisker, as it was the original drink of James Bond before that whole "martini" thing..... ;)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:54 pm 

Well I've dabbled a little in a few. Best tequila is Don Julio 1942. Simply great stuff. Bourbon, well I've had a couple of good ones and there kind of neck and neck. Do want to try some of the smaller producers. Scotch had some 12 year old with a metric TON of food: U10 shrimp, bacon wrapped scallops, two pork crusted tenderloins, stuffed mushrooms, three steaks, two racks of lamb, (this was for only me and a friend by the way :) and I made hollandaise when there was only bout two shots left and it came out darn near perfect, a little on the salty side but was spot on with the rest. Do want to try some of the Japanese scotch though. But also have a mason jar of hmmm well..... could be illegal Tenn. moonshine :) Drinks WAY to easy :) Beer isn't bad since Great Lakes is very close. Wine is always a good one. Had some good bottles. Still have a bottle of vintage Dom 2000 my friend gave me :) Still waiting to pop that for the right lady.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:04 pm 

Single Barrel Single Malt 18 yo Springbank is the best scotch I've had so far! Had the 20, 21 and 25yo Springbank and they were not quite as smooth as the 18 yo, the teenager was nice and smooth like a cognac.

Caol Ila 20 yo is also very good, more briny with sea air and peat overtones.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:11 pm 
Forum Moderator

Okay, couldn't wait until Friday, bought the bottle. Laphroaig 10. OMG, talk about night and day difference from Black Label... not even close.

This stuff is so smoky and peaty that it reminds you a bit of a bandaid at first... but then let the aftertaste settle in, it's a little bit complex but not much.. just really smokey, strong on the palate with flavor, but still smooth. Not sure I really love this, maybe something a little less peaty would fit my tastes next time. This is a serious drink. :twisted:

And as unattractive as a bandaid in a glass may sound, it's smokey and lovely underneath that, I find myself craving another sip... it's an experience, I'll say that. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:13 pm 
Forum Moderator

another sip after it opened up.... like you took all the mossy vegetation in Scotland, lit it on fire, stamped it out and made Whiskey with it. Still has a touch of "medicinal" quality, maybe that will fade with use... er um.. time. :mrgreen:

It's the smokey finish though, it sticks with you, and it's incredible. I like it. Hell of a 10 yr old I'll say, it's darn smooth. Drinking it neat.

Maybe we should do an entire "Liquor" subforum? hmmm..... Have our own reviews? I know there's enough of those online, but I like to converse with people here more. :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:41 am 

Neat is the way....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:12 am 

Aye, embrace the peat! The smokiness might be a bit jarring at first with most Scotch, but give it time to reveal itself and its complexity and character will— like a good novel— keep you wanting to dig further. I'm interested to see what you think of the Talisker, that one can be a swift goat kick to the throat!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:53 pm 
Forum Moderator

<Shaun> - I'm much more of a beer guy, but my friends are really big into single malts. I haven't fully embraced the peat yet. You might want to try The Balvenie DoubleWood 12 year. In STL you can actually get it at Sam's Club. It's reasonably priced and it is aged in two different kinds of barrels - definitely NOT peaty.

BTW - Abita TurboDog is a pretty tasty brew that we get from your neck of the woods in LA. The microbrewery/brewpub scene has really blossomed in the past 5 years in STL. We have lots of amazing small breweries doing some killer stuff. We're not just A-B/INBev up here.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:00 pm 
Forum Moderator

Another note on how the single malts guys taught me to enjoy the beverage -- they use Riedel single malts glasses (I bought a couple - they do work!) and pour it neat (no ice) but they put just a few drops of water in as well. It really makes a difference and cuts down on the "burn" you can get on the nose when tasting. It knocks down the aroma just enough to better taste the subtleties.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:56 pm 
Forum Moderator

Thanks Steve. That "TurboDog" you speak of, it's brewed about 1 mile from my house. :) The water that runs from my faucet is the same spring water they use to brew Abita beer. Abita is turning into a little more than a microbrewery lately. They just added a huge new warehouse on the facility and they seem to be doing pretty good.

What's great about living so close: I worked as a prep cook in New Orleans during 2006, and as a kicker, all employees got to drink free Abita Amber on tap. So basically, I'd walk the 4 blocks back home after a shift, clean up, walk back to work, get a few beers, leave with one in a cup (we have no open carry laws in Orleans Parish) cross the street to my favorite bar. Basically by the time you got to the bar you were already set. :twisted: Ahhh.. life in the big Easy... kissed it goodbye for the quiet life a little further away. :)

Page 2 of 3 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next