It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:42 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Wanting a cleaver to chop through bones
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:35 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

I'm looking for the best cleaver you would recommend to use to chop a 3-4 pound whole raw chicken into 8 pieces like I do most days of the week without worrying about whether or not I chop through the bones. I'm tired of sawing through chickens with my current knives - and if my knives could talk they would probably say that they were tired of it too!

Although I frequently research items online, I can't find much consensus on this bone chopping cleaver topic. You have such a wide selection that I figured that you were the experts!

Please reply with your recommendation (or recommendations). Thank you very much for your assistance.

Best Regards,
Dunbar

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Post subject: Re: Wanting a cleaver to chop through bones
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:35 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Dunbar,

Do you mind if I post our correspondence on my new forum? I'll take off your last name. It will help others that are looking for recommendations. You're welcome to come over and chat with us. Here is the forum:
index.php

I like a heavy cleaver for this kind of work. The CCK Barbeque Chopper is a good one to break down chickens in a hurry.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/cckbbqchopper.html

Kind Regards,
Mark Richmond
ChefKnivesToGo.com

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

No worries, I don't mind at all if you post our correspondence on the forum! I didn't go to the forum site because it is blocked on my computer. I apologize for my delayed reply, it has been a busy work morning.

Thanks so much for your quick reply and your CCK Barbeque Chopper recommendation! I'm glad you recommended a CCK because I have seen strong recommendations for using a CCK to chop through bone. I have a few follow-up questions:
1) How does the CCK Barbeque Chopper compare to the CCK Cleaver (spade shaped)? Is the edge on the spade angle of the CCK Cleaver useful for chopping or does the spade shape take away from the overall useful chopping area? I'm asking because the CCK Cleaver (CCK 2200 series) has great reviews, a longer blade, is thicker and is heavier than the CCK Barbeque Chopper...and looks really cool!
2) Is there any special cleaning care required due to the type of steel CCK uses (i.e. wash and dry immediately because the steel rusts more easily than other types of knife steel, etc.)?
3) Is it recommended to use a knife sharpener like a Chef's Choice to sharpen a CCK cleaver edge?
4) What type of surface do you recommend to use when chopping with a thick cleaver vs. slicing with thinner knives (i.e. surface material type (wood, plastic, etc.), thickness, etc,)? I'm trying to take better care of my knives and want to avoid ruining them on the surface!

Thanks so much for your help Mark. I'm looking forward to making my purchase and doing some great chopping!

Best Regards,
Dunbar

Site Admin

Yes the spade shaped one will do the job as well and it has a cool look to it. It's heavy duty so you can beat it just like the BBQ chopper.

Just wash and dry. If you get a little rust on it just use an sos pad and scrub it off. If you put it away for an extended period of time just wipe some oil on it.

You can use a chef's choice sharpener on it (I think). I usually just use stones for my cleaver. It's easy and quick.

Wood or plastic is ok. You want a thicker board if you're using force but don't use anything really hard.

Kind Regards,
Mark Richmond
ChefKnivesToGo.com

Site Admin

Awesome, thanks so much Mark. I will be ordering the CCK Cleaver!

Thanks, I'll use some oil on the cleaver when I'm finished washing it just in case I don't use it for a while.

I'm not confident enough yet to use stones but I'll get there.

Cool, I'll make sure to use a thicker but not harder board when using force.

You have been extremely helpful, thank you Mark!

Best Regards,
Dunbar

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:32 am 
Forum Moderator

I use a Hattori FH 240mm Western Deba to chop up my birds....works very well.

:)

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:03 pm 

Any idea the hardness of these CCK's?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:41 pm 
Site Admin

I don't know the answer to this but they're relatively soft carbon steel. They don't keep their edge that long but softer steel works well for bone choppers since they're much less inclined to chip.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:46 pm 

Makes sense. I was talking for chopping veg.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:16 pm 
Forum Moderator

Options include a Garasuki (lightest of the three) the Western deba and any of the heavy duty CCKs -. The CCKs are soft knives and work well for chopping chickens - or ducks, etc. Easy to sharpen too if you hit some tough old bird. I like a soft cutting board for chopping work. The board heals easily and you can take a swing at it without worrying about it. Yo debas and some other types of debas ar also useful but not my first choice. The BBQ chopper is a beast and fairly heavy to swing all day but it will go right through a chicken with ease. My preference for chopping up a chicken like it has no bones in it at all, eg for Chinese food - Western deba.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next