It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:40 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hows this stone look?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:53 am 

So put my first knife to my new Bester 1200. Stone feels good to this rookie, but wasn't sure about the dark spots. I know there is a little staining, and I put a couple scratches in it, but it looks like it has some high spots. Do I need to hit new stones with a flattening plate? Any thoughts on what's left behind? I did soak for 5-7 minutes. I used a cheap kitchenaid ss santoku on this for practice.

Post subject: Re: Hows this stone look?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:16 am 

yes it looks like it needs flattening. draw a hatch pattern along the stone and a diagonal crossing lines along the whole length of the stone with a pencil.

you need to learn to use all areas of the stones in order to lessen the need for flattening. you can use the corners and edges of the stone to keep the stone generally flat. but of course even if you do this, you can't keep from needing to flatten it eventually.

=D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yes, you should flatten stones before their first use.

You've gouged the stone in a few spots....it would appear. Not a concern, but that's showing sloppy wrist actions.

You should practice longer strokes....otherwise you're just wasting the ends of the stones as they'll be flattened away and never used.

Otherwise, the black swarf is normal.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:18 pm 

draw a hatch pattern along the stone and a diagonal crossing lines along the whole length of the stone with a pencil. - i mean when you flatten it so you can see where the high spots and low spots....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:27 pm 

The shorter strokes were from having not built a bridge yet and being limited by the faucet and edge of the sink...I was in a hurry and wanted to throw a blade on their. The gouges were from the tip of the knife. I was having to focus on not lifting up my hand that had the handle it as I finished a stroke. Going to put the stones away until I get a diamond plate and get a bridge built.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:36 pm 

The diamond plates are back in stock!! http://www.chefknivestogo.com/140grdistflp.html I waited for weeks for mine and LOVE it!! I drew the cross hatching and was shocked at how uneven my stones were. It cuts quickly and made the following sharpening much better.

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:08 am 

i have that diamond plate. it's cheap and does the job. it's dedicated as a flattening plate for my stones, even does my carborundom ones as well.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]