It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:26 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Drink much?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:09 pm 
Forum Moderator

They don't call it the "general discussion" forum for nothing. So, let's get down to it; This thread can include all types of liquor BTW.

I recently took a liking to Scotch, particularly a bottle of Black Label 'someone' bought me on Valentine's Day. (yeah, heck of a gift, I didn't even know that 'I' liked Scotch, but apparently she realizes how much I hate life too) lol kidding kidding.. but anyhow, I drink it on the rocks, and love the taste particularly after the water opens it up a little bit. A great sipping drink IMO.

Since this forum is full of foodies, steel snobs, wine snobs (probably some cigar junkies)... I know some a'you's are scotch drinkers.

What's a great scotch in your opinion? Also, your thoughts on Green Label if you've ever tried it, about to get a bottle next week or so.

Feel free to ask questions about other liquors people, I've tried a couple myself here and there...... ahemmmm.. :mrgreen:

I would like to stay away from wine in this thread though, that could get out of hand really fast, so make a separate thread for that if you want. Thanks ya'll!

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

Post subject: Re: Drink much?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:08 pm 

12 Years clean and sober this month so it's been a while since I have had a drop or two. ;) Trust me, I did have a drop or two too.

If you are interested in tasting some really good Scotch you can do way better than JWB or JWGreen. The JW labels are good, but they are to the Scotch world what "Budweiser" is to the beer world.

Do you like Bourbon? Try Dalmore Cigar Malt, it's single malt and somewhat Bourbon like. Also look for Macallan 18, and Dalwhinnie 15. Lagavulin is also VERY good and affordable in the 16 year range.

Of course in the 12 year range Glenlivet, Glinfiddich, Macallan, and Highland Park are really good for the price, $30-$40 +/- a bottle.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:49 pm 

Not Scotch but we do enjoy our Woodford Reserve Bourbon around here.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:24 pm 

+1 on Lagavulin 16yr (some people find it a little too peaty.)

Been drink mostly 21yr Glenlivet lately.

My current favorite is Hakushu 25 yr by Suntory. Their 18 yr is excellent too. It is too bad they don't sell them in Canada and I have to get people to bring them back for me.

http://www.suntory.com/whisky/en/hakush ... .html?no=3

Make sure you get a pair of proper scotch glasses. More than any other drinks, the glasses make a huge difference in the experience. My favorite is Riedel Vinum.

http://www.riedel.com/collections/glass ... whiskey-1/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:33 am 

Dalwhinnie 15 is a must try! Followed by Glenfiddich 12. My 2 faves. Actually sipping a Fiddich right now!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:55 am 

I'm not really a scotch guy... could never really get into the stuff.

I am, however, a huge fan of bourbon and rye. So if anyone wants recommendations on either of those libations I'm all over it.

Favorites of all time: George T. Stagg Barrel Proof, Sazerac 18yr Rye, Parker's Heritage Collection (especially last years Cognac Barrel Finished)

My go-to every day sippers: Knob Creek 9yr and Wild Turkey 101

Current Obsession: Bulleit Rye (the bourbon is fantastic too-- great bang for your buck)

+1 on the importance of the proper glasses. A good set of Glencairn glasses is a must to truly experience the nose.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:01 am 

my father's an alcoholic and became a diabetic during the process. i have heavily cut down on my alcohol intake coz of this. you'd be lucky to see me having a beer once a week or even once every 2 weeks.

but i do still appreciate a drink or two. but rarely.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:28 am 
Forum Moderator

I prefer Irish over Scotch... I drink Tullamore Dew. Plain Jane, 10 year Single Malt, 12 year Special Reserve... love em all.

I drink Hendricks gin & Millers...

I drink Ron Zacapa 23 year aged Rum..

I drink black beer.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:38 pm 

Oban 14 yr has a sweet, vanilla-y finish I particularly enjoy, if a bit short. Laphroaig 10 yr is an incredible scotch for the price, I couldn't recommend that one highly enough.

Ardbeg Uigeadail - You do not simply drink this spirit, you accept her into your mouth, where she will make sweet, passionate (and occasionally violent) love to your taste buds like the Scottish water-nymph she is; the afterglow will haunt you for the rest of your life.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:31 pm 

I like drinking scotch whiskey and bourbon. I don't drink but maybe once a month and when I do it's usually brands as Glenfiddich, Jameson, Macallan, Jack Daniels, Bushmills. Nothing too expensive :P I've had the JW Blue and it is smooth like water IDK if it's worth the steep price though. IMO liquer best served neat especially when smoking cigars and cigs.
I like to cook with liquer too. Some of my favs are Cpt. Morgan Pvt Stock, Makers, Coffee liquor.
We should open a forum section dedicated to wine! 8-) Here in Nebraska we have many vinyards producing wine grapes and bottled locally. Some make great complimentary food pairings and are a great value under $20. Anyway... The science in spirit making and bartending is as fascinating to me as food production and cooking. Love learning where what we eat/drink comes from and how it's prepared for consumption.

Page 1 of 3 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next