It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:38 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: I'd like to review this forum
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:11 pm 

I've got some experience with forums - more than most. I've run a forum called "Benchrest Central" (benchrest.com) for what seems like forever. I don't "get out much", but when I do I notice. For the case of my recent interest in sharp knives, I've been to several forums, none of which give me the comfort that I find here. It's a great place to get information from non-patronizing folks who know what they're talking about.

There's no difference in these two questions:
What Rifle?
What Knife?

At some point, resident "experts" have been in the same place as the guy asking the question and all they need to determine is what that place is to offer a "best" answer. The answers are greatly different based on what the guy will be doing with the rifle/knife and often the determination itself becomes more than the poster bargained for initially. I find that the "experts" here simply answer the question as asked rather than giving the impression that the guy doesn't know enough to ask a valid question - hope that made sense! Mark and Adam are examples of what I'm trying to convey. "Just the facts Ma'am" - when there are no facts in the truest sense.

Sure, I could rant for hours about the layout, format, software and features but those are not what makes a forum. As with any other social venue, it's the folks involved that make it enjoyable and worthwhile.

I like this forum !

Post subject: Re: I'd like to review this forum
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:03 am 

Amen! I also appreciate the lack of 'elitism' here. I don't feel afraid or ashamed to ask any question no matter how dumb it may seem to me at the time. Someone with far greater knowledge than I will answer truthfully or with their experienced opinion and without making me feel inferior for not already knowing the answer.

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:43 am 
Forum Moderator

We like you two, as well... 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:24 pm 

For every poster who asks a stupid question, there are a dozen sitting in the wings, reading the answer and thinking "Boy, am I glad he asked that one!" but they didn't have the nerve to post it in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

:)

Mark's an awesome guy that's given us a place to hang out and shoot the proverbial "sh!t". Cause that's all it is really....I try to treat everyone like they've come to my house for advice. Shooting the shit about knives over a bottle of beer. :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:00 am 

Hello, Wil***I lurked around Benchrest Central since around 20 years ago. I have only recently gotten on the CKTG forum, maybe a couple or three months.
I can tell you it IS absolutely EXACTLY the same situation.

I had no one to show me anything. A five minute learning curve on one process might turn into a six months. Etc.

The guys that helped me over the years on your forum were exactly like some of the knife guys here. Patient as Job, and know what they're talking about. Took me nineteen months to get the rifle built (had to re-invent it first, of course).

I'll stop with the rifle thing, but I'm really glad you got interested in this knife stuff. Welcome.

Raibeaux (probably used the same name over at your place).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:20 pm 

Wil - Been a regular reader of BRC for several years now. Glad to see you over here on the cutlery side of things. My view is that fine steel carefully crafted is a joy, whether one's goal is putting rounds through a tiny hole or the effortless reduction of a pile of vegetables. And there is no doubt that this forum is one of the most helpful out there. Good people with lots of knowledge freely shared.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]