It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:33 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: bbq beef ribs
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:57 pm 

Sue, Any Asian style tips on these. They never come out right for me.

Post subject: Re: bbq beef ribs
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:51 pm 
VIP Member

wpeterson2620 wrote:Sue, Any Asian style tips on these. They never come out right for me.

Sorry, I have never made them. Someone on this forum must know. Anyone??

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:27 pm 
Forum Moderator

PETERSON <> Wet marinade: Red wine, Soy Sauce, Ketchup, minced ginger, minced green onion, minced garlic. Mix into a liquid with a viscosity between water & ketchup. Season your ribs on both sides. Lay out face down on rimmed sheet pan and brush with marinade. Flip ribs, spread marinade evenly & heavily. Pour water in the pan 2/3 till top. Tent pan with tightly sealed foil. Par-bake 90 minutes at 450 degrees, and check every so often to make sure all water hasn't steamed off. If so, it will burn. Keep it wet.

Cool ribs in fridge. Portion to size. Finish by grilling, frying, or broiling. Sauce as you wish. Hoison BB-Q will work for a chinese finish. Gochujang BB-Q will work for a Korean finish. Could do a Sesame Scishimi Togorashi sauce (Spicy) for a Japanese finish. Could do a wet vinegar nuoc mam for a Thai finish.

Blah, blah, blah...

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

Nice! I'll have to try this also :D :D Thanks for sharing

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:35 pm 

Well, I already cooked them. Came out fantastic. Marinated them in OJ, soy, ginger ale with a cup of salt dissloved for 4 hrs. Rubbed with 2Tbls each salt, black pepper, brown sugar, 1 tsp each chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, 1/2 tsp. each coriander and tumeric. Placed them in a roasting pan in 275* smoker uncovered for 2hrs. Put 2 cups water sin the bottom and covered with foil for another 2hrs. Litely and I do mean litely glazed with my homemade bbq sauce and some extra honey. You could eat them if you had no teeth.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:38 pm 

Unfortunately, in this part of west Texas, none of the sauces mentioned as well as fresh ginger are available unless I want to drive 100mi. one way to get them.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:07 am 
Site Admin

You're making me hungry! I love ribs.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:57 am 
Forum Moderator

PETERSON <> I wasn't implying those sauces were to be purchased, but I'm glad you rocked out some ribs that made you happy! Try adjusting your dry spice to asian flavors, and you might dig it: cinnamon, clove, white pepper or szechuan if you can find it, fennel, and anise. Keep the coriander and the turmeric with those, and you should taste a marked difference in your product.

FYI: Ground powdered ginger could be utilized if fresh is not available. A quick hoisin BB-Q sauce can simply be made sauteing orange peels (not zest), ging/garl/scall mince, toasting hoisin, thinning with soy, adding ketchup for color, and balancing the salty soy with honey. Strain...

Gojuchang will only be found in an Asian market or online. A simple Korean BB-Q could be made by substituting Gojuchang as a portion of the ketchup/tomato/paste in an american tomato based BB-Q recipe. Keep the dry spices asian, don't sweeten much, and lean to the vinegary acidic side...

Japanese BB-Q sauce could be made with a dashi base, flavored with soy & kombu, thickened with agar agar, spiced and colored by schishimi togorashi & finished with some sesame oil & yuzu juice. Some mirin to taste if it's off balanced spicy...

The Thai dipping would be easiest... its raw. Rice Vinegar, Fish Sauce (I prefer golden boy brand), ginger, oj with the zest before juicing, lime juice with the zest before juicing, thai chili or japs.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:00 am 
Forum Moderator

Also, you said you smoked them. Incorporate anise star and cinnamon sticks in with your chips for some deeper infusion.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:14 pm 

I'll have to go to the store with a list next week

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next