It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:49 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Comments Please - Stones - Polisher Final Finisher
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:27 pm 

Hello,

There is some excellent information in the forum and product reviews at CKTG about stones. I am looking for suggestions and comments about stones to sharpen both knives (variety of steels – no single bevel) and straight razors – as polisher possible final finisher before strop. I understand there are many benefits to the naturals – but for now at this time – I am looking only at the synthetic / manufactured stones.

There are many great stones that are mentioned favorably with good user experiences. I have attempted to narrow the list of potential candidates – stones – and would most appreciate suggestions / comments about the stones below. Specifically, if there is a preferred / suggested sequencing order, combination of stones (same make, mix and match, etc.), and which 2 or 3 might be at the top of the list from personal experience.

8,000 – Naniwa Snow White
8,000 – Kitayama
8,000 – Naniwa Super Stone
8,000 – Nubatama Bamboo
8,000 – Shapton Pro
10,000 – Nubatama Bamboo
10,000 – Naniwa Super Stone
12,000 – Naniwa Super Stone
15,000 – Shapton Pro

I look forward to hearing any experiences with the stones above. Also, I am open to hearing / and feel free to share if there are any other stones that work well in the approximate grit range above as the polisher possible final finisher before strop.

Thank you!

Peter

Post subject: Re: Comments Please - Stones - Polisher Final Finisher
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:53 pm 

consider natural stones as well!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:11 pm 
Forum Moderator

Don't forget the Nubatama 15k in this group - at the top of the list!

---
Ken

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:55 pm 
Forum Moderator

So I've used:

8,000 – Kitayama
8,000 – Shapton Pro
10,000 – Naniwa Super Stone
12,000 – Naniwa Super Stone
15,000 – Shapton Pro

Of those, I still have the Naniwa 10k Superstone for a reason. It provides the best edge of any of them.

The Kitayama and I hated each other.

The Shapton Pro 8k is a good stone, as is the Shapton Pro 15k.....but neither agreed with me. I found them too hard.

The Naniwa 12k SS is not as fine as the 10k IMHO.

All knife experience only....no razors.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

I use a Shobu San (8K) and an Ozuka Asagi (12K) Japanese Natural stones prior to stropping on my kitchen knives. I have another J Nat incoming as well from Japan hopefully this week!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:10 pm 

Hello Franz, Ken, Adam, Taz,

Thank you for the replies and I appreciate it.

Franz and Taz - while the JNATs are a great choice . . . this is an area that I am not as familiar with the particular types of stones, hardness levels, finishes, and all the complexities. All of you are more familiar with these . . . and at this time I am not - yet . . . as time passes I will continue to gather valuable information from the forum. The challenge I think with the JNATs is the value proposition with the stone - what you get for the money . . . which can be subjective sometimes . . . and since I am unfamiliar with the JNATs . . . its a little more of challenge for me to decipher some of the particulars with JNATs and determine value - good, great, excellent, or the same result as a synthetic. I am certainly open to hearing more about the JNATs and becoming more knowledgeable. It might be nice of there were some good references or links to websites somewhere within the forum that provides some relevant details about the JNATs, the terrain, the stones to expect from certain areas or depths, etc.

Ken - I am looking at the Nubatama line up and I may pick up some in the future. In particular, a line up something like the below might be really really fine and looks to have a nice appeal with my other stones and plates - not sure about the value proposition - probably subjective somewhat!

3K Nubatama Bamboo
6K Nubatama Ume
10K Nubatama Bamboo
15K Nubatama Bamboo

Adam - I thank you for your feedback as well with your personal experience with some of the stones I listed. At this time, I proceeded with a purchase of the Naniwa Super Stone 12K which seems to fit better in my line up with the preceding stone as compared to the 10K. Time will tell with some test drives.

Please have an excellent Friday and Weekend!

Thank you all very much!

Peter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:05 pm 
Forum Moderator

Shaptons are lovely for knives and razors, but you need the 15k for razors. Shaving off the 8k is a tad too harsh imo.

10k SS is great for razors, but it's slow and really a finisher. I also don't like how soft it is, but some love that (Adam for instance)

As a 1 stone solution? I would go with 8k Snow white. While it provides a comfortable shave (not as great as a 10 or 15k finish though), it's still fast and polishes very nicely. For razors I would follow it up with some compound on balsa or 1µ film.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:55 pm 

Hi Michiel,

Thank you for the additional information . . . great advice ! I have the Shaptons as well in my line up and playing / practicing - great advice from Mark along with videos from Shaun with the Shaptons and your excellent articles posted here at the Forum about the Shaptons.

Yes, the extra step and compounds are most useful post stone.

I shared some time a few years back in the Brugge and Ghent areas of Belgian - enjoyed it very much!

Have a good weekend and thank you for your clarification and suggestions and stone preference.

Peter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:28 pm 

Geesh Adam . . . I just ordered a 10,000 – Naniwa Super Stone because of you . . . make sure you hit Mark up for your cut :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:18 pm 
Forum Moderator

Hahaha!! I'll do that!! :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next