It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:51 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Tried something new
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

WIL <> Wasabi, western-version-Wasabi that is, typically is sold as a powder in which you make a paste by simply adding water. Small home versions are usually sold in small cans, and usually larger restaurant versions are sold in plastic bags. I say "Western version" as ours is basically a horseradish/mustard powder with a small percentage of actual wasabi leaves in it. I say "typically" because on rare occasion you can find "fresh wasabi" sold in frozen plastic flat-packs. It is, by far, a premium product, and requires no mixing - it is a finished product.

Plate wise: Nice to see you playing with garnish. I'd suggest leaving the top of the tree w/a straight cut instead of the angle in which you added. When the top & bottom are the same - it accents the sway of the "fronds"; the improv cut you implemented upsets the "tree's" balance. Also, you have no doubt noticed your grits overlapped on the roll. Next roll, attempt to eliminate said lap for a cleaner finished product.

Keep on havin fun...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:20 pm 

If you live in or around a metropolitan area, you might be able to find fresh wasabi root at your local Japanese market, but it is usually prohibitively expensive and takes a special device to grate properly.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:37 pm 

Thanks for the tips! Saw that garnish on youtube and it seemed easy enough. I think it's supposed to be cucumber but all I had was a mostly dried up zucchini so I cut that piece off, cut the rest up into bitty cubes, and fried 'em up for the "middle".

I did notice, in the two rolls I made (first two ever), that grits behave quite differently than rice. No surprise there but I believe after a few batches, maybe 50 or so, I can figure a way to cook grits that will roll like rice and not crumble when you look at it.

BTW - I'm sure I'm not tellin' Y'all anything new but if you haven't had the pleasure of fried grits you've missed out. Of course, as somebody once said..."if you were raised on skunk..every now and then you'll hanker skunk".

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

That looks very delectable - thx for the pic.

:)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:19 am 

I had the same idea a while ago and it came out beautifully. I cooked and dehydrated collards to use are "nori." I made a sweet potato risotto for the rice and used coleslaw and bbq pork. It was great. Check it out. http://sustenancethroughfood.blogspot.com/2012/03/southern-sushi.html

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:42 pm 

Looks pretty darn good!

Using grits...the taste was exceptional but the "bite" left a bit to be desired. Sorta like eatin' pureed meatloaf. Tastes the same but somewhat revolting.

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2