It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:03 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Masahiro carbon gyuto patina question...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:11 pm 

I purchased a masahiro carbon gyuto from CKTG a few months back. I love the knife so far. It's my first carbon so I have nothing to compare it to, but I have friends at work that use carbon. After heavy prep and use during service on all types of food (mirepoix, garlic, potatoes, tomatoes, raw beef, cooked duck, tuna, etc...) it still has minimal patina. Compared to my buddy's misono Swedish, it looks stainless. Aside from the fact that carbon sharpens up great, I want that patina! I dont want to force the patina, because i want it to happen naturally. Does anyone on here have experience with this steel? Is there a protective coating on there that just takes a while to come off or is it just a less reactive carbon? Thanks for any help or advice!

Post subject: Re: Masahiro carbon gyuto patina question...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:31 pm 

i have one that i bought used. so i can't tell you if there's a coating or not.

just leave it be, it'll get there in time. you're lucky that it isn't reactive or else, it might react to food items and get bad smells or discolor onions and garlic after slicing them.

i also have a misono swedish hankotsu, i forced a patina on this one coz it was more reactive than my masahiro.

just keep it oiled up during times of unuse and keep a moist towel for wiping away food from the knife.... and keep doing what you're doing.

it'll get nice blues and purples with some yellows as well, when cutting through meats. specially cured meats. i make bacon a lot at home and i slice through bacon every few weeks, so i'm good with patina. lol.

but mine is completely grey tip to handle. sharpened out the corners of the bevel to round out the edges and exposed new metal along the blade face. it patina'd back to its old grey dullish color. but before that happened it got what i mentioned, the blues, purples and yellows.

Post subject: Re: Masahiro carbon gyuto patina question...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:57 pm 
Forum Moderator

Test to see if there is a protective coating....put some yellow mustard drops on the blade and see how fast it patina's.

Otherwise, cut a bunch of citrus....it'll patina quick.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]