It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:39 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Few questions
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

I bought a Tojiro 210mm awhile ago, and have been using a lansky system to try to keep the blade touched up. I feel its time to move on to a better solution to keep my blades sharp, and was looking at this

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/3pcstoneset.html

is there anything better in the price range?

also was looking for a cheaper fun knife to play with on the stones before i worked on my better stuff.

something cheap like this

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toitkshpe120.html

do you have anything else in that price range that you might recommend over that one?

and one last question :)

my friend has an heirloom straight razor, that he has had professionally restored and he uses it daily. he strops it with green powder but feels its time to freshen up the blade on a stone. what stone would you recommend?

thanks for you help!
Jon

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Few questions
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:36 am 

Here is how I would go to get started:

Latte 400 (never tried it but folks seem to like it)- $58.95
Naniwa Aotoshi 2k "Green Brick of Joy"- $50.00
Suehiro Rika 5000 Grit- $49.95

Necessary add on either way:
140Grit Diamond Plate and Universal Holder- $49.90

Also I would stick with a bigger knife to practice. A smaller blade is easier to control as it fits on the stone, but a longer blade requires you to be more precise. Even if it is softer steel, you can learn on it . . .

For the razor, I just had to restore a bevel and hone it, so I progressed through various stones and the last stone before going to several strops was my Ozuko Koppa natural stone at 15,000 grit. It really worked well on my razor. Before that i used a Kitayama 8K Grit in the progression and before that the Suehiro Rika 5000 Grit. So that gives you an idea of stones depending on how the razor edge actually is and what it needs.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:43 am 

The stone set you linked is a very good starter set.
Do you not have any old beater knives in the house? Do you not have family, a friend or neighbor you can get an old knife from?
If I was to buy a cheap "practice" knife for sharpening it would probably be this. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fofi8chkn.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:49 pm 
Forum Moderator

Can't help much with the razor, sorry!! :)

As for the stone set and the test knife, I think it's a great starter set and a perfect practice knife.

There are other options, of course. But for the cost, it's hard to beat that set up. :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:37 pm 

Better stones? What do you want to be better about them? Do you want softer, harder, coarser, finer, bigger, faster cutting? Every stone is like a individual person, each has a personality and a working style all its own. So when asking for better it depends on your desires.

That knife is fine but will be a different sharpening experience from the everyday kitchen knife. It's a clad steel blade having soft and hard metals that make-up a sharpened bevel that covers most of the blade. You don't have to sharpen the whole bevel, but you should.

As for the razor, its a different ball game with different requirements.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

Latte 400, Bester 1200 (or a Nubatama or Chosera in that range), Rika 5K, Shobu San and Ozuka Asagi Koppa. The Latte, Bester, Rika and Shobu are my go to stones. I have the Naniwa Aotoshi that I use on softer steel knives (german style kitchen knives and fillet knives). It gives an OK edge to harder steels, but my Shapton Pro 2K leaves a nicer edge IMHO. Bester 1200 to Rika 5K is an easy jump, no need for a 2K stones in there unless you want to use it as a touch up stone and I would get the Synthetic Aoto instead.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]