It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:34 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Artifex Honesuki righty vs. lefty question
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm interested in a reasonably priced honesuki or other knife that's a little tougher for breaking down chickens, etc. NOT for cutting bone, but going through joints w/o messing up the edge.

For this lefty, can some of you explain how a single bevel, or close to a single bevel style of knife like most honesukis assists a right handed person in the cuts. I've watched numerous videos of folks processing chickens w/honesukis and I still need some clarification.

I know Mark has asked for response to doing a batch of left hand Artifex honesukis.

Can a lefty use a regular honesuki w/success by adjusting technique, or am I over-analyzing the single bevel issue?

Other recommendations besides a honesuki?

Thanks everyone in advance!

Post subject: Re: Artifex Honesuki righty vs. lefty question
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:07 am 

i'm known here by most as being the most vocal lefty here, lol. specially with handles, grinds and bias. i always ask for lefty friendly models. lol.

i've used a knife that's 99/1 righty biased, steering is insanely bad with it. even with a righty, a righty biased knife with bad technique and grip will make the knife steer for sure.

afaik, the artifex honesuki is 80/20 righty biased so, it will be trouble i suspect.

i have knives that are 60/40 and 70/30 righty biased and have worked okay for me. the 70/30 one if i don't watch where i cut will steer as well. so an even more righty biased like a honesuki will be troublesome.

if i don't want it to steer dangerously and cut me, i angle (doesn't have to be a crazy angle, just enough) the knife away from my hand so if it does steer it steers away my hande. that way it minimizes the chances of the knife cutting me.

if you want a honesuki and can afford the extra cost, look for one that's 50/50 grind or if you can find one, a lefty version. cktg sells 50/50 grind honesuki's so if you really want a honesuki, those will be your only option. you can ask mark to specially order lefty versions of other brands. misono does lefty version of their honesuki's and hankotsu's. i have a lefty hankotsu misono swedish carbon, although not from mark, bought one when another seller had a sale late last year.

=D

speaking of the artifex honesuki, there was a thread here of mark having to special order lefty versions of the honesuki if there was enough demand for it. there wasn't enough, i think, so that idea fell through.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:02 pm 
Forum Moderator

Thanks very much for the reply. I'm still unclear, however, on the benefits or purpose of a single bevel grind in a honesuki or deba knife. I do know that a single bevel can result in a sharper edge.

Here's a scenario - tell me if I'm right or wrong:

Right hander slicing sashimi with a single bevel. Would the bevel normally be on the right-hand side of the knife? Would the slices be taken from the right side of the product, resulting in the bevel pushing the slice to the right to better facilitate cutting?

If you're filleting a fish or butchering a chicken, does the bevel side or flat side go against say the vertebrae or the breast bone?

Sorry to be anal, I'm just trying to get a clear mental picture of how these are used correctly and why. Videos don't always show the details on this kind of thing.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:24 pm 

- Right hander slicing sashimi with a single bevel. Would the bevel normally be on the right-hand side of the knife? Would the slices be taken from the right side of the product, resulting in the bevel pushing the slice to the right to better facilitate cutting?

yes to all of this if you're right handed. but i believe that the left bevel is actually doing more of the pushing. this only happens with debas and yanagis, to stop the fish from sticking, the left side is hollow ground.

- If you're filleting a fish or butchering a chicken, does the bevel side or flat side go against say the vertebrae or the breast bone?

bevel side goes against the bones.

go on youtube and search for the topic deba and fish. search results will give you a better idea how debas are used.

for honesukis and debas, pcckitchen's youtube channel has videos of him doing fish and chicken.

pcckitchen's pretty well versed with j blades so he's pretty awesome at them.

mtckitchen has pretty good vids on the honesuki specifically.

if you want really good technique on youtube, look for videos done by the japanese. there are some vids on there on the topic that just murder the meat so, avoid those. lol.

you'll get a better idea of how they're used after seeing the vids.

thing is, most japanese chefs actually force their apprentices to start using their right hands instead of their left even if they're left handed. it's sort of a cultural thing. i've seen this happen. even if there are left handed knives in japan, as we well know, they're more expensive and in kitchens lefties get in the way of the work of righties since they work at opposite sides of the prep table.

lefties prefer the trash bowl on the right, the finished product on the left. and righties do it the other way. knives too are on opposite ends. so if there are accidents in the kitchen, it usually happens coz the lefty was "on the wrong side".

so they teach them to learn righty. it sucks. but oh well.

Last edited by franzb69 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:29 pm 
Forum Moderator

Thanks - I appreciate the knowledge and advice. I'll check out those videos.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:32 pm 

welcome!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]