It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:15 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: The Intro..
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:23 am 

Thank you, everyone.

Jeff,

I am happy it has been helpful to you, its difficult to describe in words what is done and felt with the hands.

More than anything though, the feedback is your main guide.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:23 pm 

Alright Jason, so let's here some more about that Monzen Aoto now that you've had a couple weeks to work with it. Would you classify it as a muddy stone? Have you employed the stone for both single and double bevels? Where do you estimate the grit range? I have the Ozuku from Mark which is an extremely hard stone, very little swarf, prob in the 15K+ grit range. I was looking to add a Jnat between my Nubatamas and my Ozuku, and I was thinking of something like the Hakka Tomae which I understand is a muddy stone as well, but you and others have been speaking favorably about that Mozen. Thanks man, Josh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:22 pm 

It's a muddy stone and truthfully have only used it a handful of times, and only on a DT gyuto (still have to upload that video). Have yet to do any single bevels with it but hopefully soon.

I really like Aoto stones so to me its a perfect choice before a finishing stone. Straight to a 15k might be a bit difficult though ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:13 pm 

Good deal, thanks for the feedback. Maybe Mark will offer the Monzen on CKTG at some point. I've got my Nubatama collection up to 10K at this point prior to my Ozuku, so not such a bad jump now. Just thought a muddy Jnat might fit in nicely somewhere in my line up.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:59 pm 

Jason, just watched your youtube on the Monzen. Amazing, looks just like the size, color and mud of my Nubatama 1200, but 100% natural. Great addition to the arsenal.

Josh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:39 am 

Thanks, Josh

It's a pretty sweet stone and the edge it produces is about perfect.

You should really get one.... :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:48 pm 

Oh, I've already talked to Ken about it my friend. Would you describe it as being similar in nature to the Nubatama 1200, but closer to the 3K - 4K range?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:16 am 

No, I would call it a natural Aoto ;)

You could compare the mud formation but that's about where the similarities stop. It's harder to use than its synthetic counterpart but very enjoyable.

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2