It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:02 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Virgin kitchen knife guy!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:24 pm 

So, after going back and forth with what I "thaught" were good knives for years, I found I was wrong. I went to a friends for dinner recently, and they had just gotten a new 210mm Gyuto they had to show us. After a few minutes of playing with it......

I've been looking at knife after knife after knife ( who knew!!! ), and after reading hundreds of "opinions" and reviews, I've yet to pick a knife to start with for 1 reason. The question of maintenance. Now I'm not talking about sharpening... My neighbor has a nice wicked Edge gizmo and has said to bring them over anytime and he'd knock them out for me no problem, and teach me as we go to boot. Excellent. Cleaning.... Most of the knives I have my eye on are either the White Steel ( or other carbon blade ), or this animal I can't get a good feel for yet, which is the Semi SS line. I don't mind wiping my blade down after every task is complete, or keeping it dry between tasks. However, the Semi SS line does appear to be a bit more forgiving in terms of what's required then typical steel ( non stainless ) blades.

In particular I'm looking at the Konosuke HD 210mm Wa-Gyuto. Money isn't really an issue, but I'd like to be reasonable ( or more to the point, my wife would like me to be. No more then say $350 ish USD ). About the only "real" requirement from my better 1/2 is that it have the Japanese handles, she loves that look. Is there a better choice that may require less maintenance, or is this already a low maintenance knife? The description on the metal does not really tell me much ( any current owners, please let me hear about your rituals with it, and what is required first hand!!! ). Google has been nothing short of information overload on the Semi SS lines... I"m not against going to a pure SS blade, like the Konosuke HH line for example, however I'd like to stay away from the metals that tend to "chip" a little easier. The Steel lines, seem to require the most maintenance/cleaning, thus why I'm shooting for, currently, the middle or the Semi SS.

Any help or advice from those in the know would be more then wonderful!!!

Thanks in advance,
Randy.

Post subject: Re: Virgin kitchen knife guy!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:48 pm 

It's an excellent knife. It will patina to some degree, but no more or less high maintenance than any other knife. Not particularly chippy. I like my 270 quite a lot. It's a good choice.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:05 am 
Forum Moderator

RK <> I have and could talk ad nauseam regarding how frigin awesome a steel the HD blend is. It bridges the gap of carbon edge potential and stone feedback with the ease of stainless steel care. It is for most practical purposes... a stainless blade. As mentioned, it will develop a light patina on its own, but with even a modicum of care it would be incredibly difficult to corrode this steel.

I note you mention your aversion to chippy steel. Most Japanese knives, carbon & stainless alike, are hardened to levels far beyond your average Wusthof, F. Dick, Henkel, etc. which makes them brittle. They are inherently easier to chip then a German blade. You may be referencing VG-10's reputation as "chippy" stainless, but its fundamentally a hardness issue.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:46 am 

You are spot on. I was refering to the VG-10's actually ( and not info from experience, but from reading around... )

And thank you very much. You did answer my biggest concern or question ( not sure which it really is ) by saying it's almost like SS. Perfect. Now I can learn to cut with a real knife and not these.. well... toys?

All this said, is that a great knife for the buck or could I get more bang for my buck from something in this style knife?

Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:42 am 
Forum Moderator

RK <> Regarding your curiosity with HD steel, allow me to first explain I have 5 of them. I have 5 of them because I believe them to be the best bang for the buck blade on the site. I can’t help it; Konosuke did it right. It’s undeniable.

That said, of all my knives, my favorite overall is my Suisin Honyaki INOX, but that is due to F&F, profile & the overall package. The HD steel still beats it, and it's 25% less expensive.

I had one more Konosuke that I traded away only because I had two of the exact same knives (240funayuki), and I am going to embed a link to another post here to illustrate exactly how they react.

chefwatson wrote:Up for sale I have a 240mm Konosuke HD2 Funayuki/Gyuto w/ Custom Handle.

ChefWatson, traded with me for this HD in nearly flawless condition. I know he brought it into a hotel situation with other people using it which I reckon is how it got all green scrubbied up, but you can see the patina on the blade that has clearly been created by water being left on it after a washing w/o a drying. If they stay wet, it will mark the steel with the water outline, but if you wipe it casually… you’re more than good to go. They are not like carbon blades whereas the marks left can be distinct corrosion. They also accept forced patinas, very well. Here is another member’s post I’ll embed in this thread.

Texanaviator wrote:...my Konosuke (Mark's forced patina method)....

If your last sentence is a question for a recommendation, I strongly recommend them, and practice what I preach. I also recommend NOT buying the ebony handles as they are heavier than the traditional Ho and IMO offset the benefits of such a light knife... albeit grams, but it's noticeable. Furthermore, the ebony has a very different taper then the HO, but this is admittedly personal.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2195

Side note about VG-10. It’s not garbage. It’s actually pretty fun stuff to work with because it sharpens really easily and gets really sharp. It does have a tendency to microchippiing and larger of which I speculate is a molecular carbide issue, but its not garbage by any means. You have to understand the field of people here talking about knives, subsequently bashing VG-10, are at the extreme edge of the spectrum in what they demand from cutlery. VG-10, like every steel, is different from forge to forge, as well. For example, a Shun classic and an Asai stainless though both VG-10 are very different blades.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]