It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:41 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Nakiri or Cleaver
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:17 am 

I was pretty set as a Nakiri for my next purchase but then I had a gander at the cleavers as well and really can't decide. I've never held a cleaver or a Nakiri so that makes the decision a little tougher. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Nakiri or Cleaver
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:56 am 
Forum Moderator

Nakiri's are generally shorter height wise and may be shorter length wise as well. I've never used a cleaver, but I love the Nakiri's that I have for veggie prep!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:09 pm 

I personally like nakiris better. But, I do work with some people that swear by their cleavers. I've used both but I tend to be a 50-50 push-cut/ rock chopper. I find it's harder to push cut with the heavier cleaver. The nakiri will be lighter so this allows for easier push cutting, in my opinion. I would try and find a store that sells them both and hold a couple and see how they compare. Then, determine what you like and come back here to get better prices and service!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:55 pm 
Forum Moderator

Maybe you'd like to try out a tall nakiri then? Just got my paws on a Masakage Yuki Nakiri http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mayuna16.html

Very tall for a nakiri, still very lightweight and thin. I'm trying to get a video done on it soon. Very nice F&F on these knives too. :)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:11 pm 

You can think of a nakiri as two-thirds of a gyuto, and it is used with pretty much the same techniques as a gyuto.

A cleaver is a whole different story. You hold it in a different grip, and the weight of the cleaver does most of the work.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:54 pm 

Most good Nakiri's i see have a flatter belly than a gyuto as well. But let's not get into that.

Gyuto is a different knife.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

Many Nakiri's are also a good bit thinner at the edge than a gyuto is. They cut a bit differently as well; for veggie prep, I prefer a Nakiri over a gyuto for slicing tasks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:24 pm 
Forum Moderator

I rather much agree with what Rick said. Using a cleaver (I'm assuming we're talking about a thin cleaver) is nothing like using a nakiri. I never got used to it, but others love them and use them as their primary meal prep knife.

A nakiri and a cleaver can do the same things technically, but how you do them is different in a lot of ways.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]