It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:28 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: 5 Pc Sharpening Set - Which Stone after Rika 5k?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:47 am 

Hello all - I have been learning to sharpen freehand on a mish mash of stones I picked up along the way with no particular end in mind. So I decided to get myself a more well thought out set and after reading good reviews on the separate stones individually, and the starter set together, I ordered the 5 Pc Sharpening Set from CKTG. Because I seem to be very good at buying stones; way better than using them at this point; I'm already looking ahead to the next stone in the progression after the Suehiro Rika 5k.

I will be using the set to sharpen very ordinary kitchen knives, my buck knives and possibly my straight razor, so I am looking for something of an all around finishing stone I guess. I have been considering the Naniwa SS 8k and 10k; the Kitayama 8k and the Nubatama 8k or 10k.

The stones I already have are:

Norton 220/1k; 4k/8k
King Deluxe 800; Ice Bear 6k
Suehiro 1200
Chinese 12k from woodcraft

I need to get better at sharpening before I spend any more money on stones, but I can't help but think ahead to the next one. I'm not sure if I need another stone or a 12 step program for waterstone addiction . . . :)

Thanks for you time,

Steve

Post subject: Re: 5 Pc Sharpening Set - Which Stone after Rika 5k?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:43 am 
Forum Moderator

I like the Shobu San natural stone after my Rika 5k; it gives the edge a nice bite!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:29 pm 
Site Admin

I usually strop after the Rika or use my ohira tomae natural and then strop.

Stropping will help refine the edge and is a cheap and easy way to improve without spending more on more stones.

If I had the stones on your list that 8K norton would be a good one to do a few edge trailing strokes before moving onto a strop.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:33 am 

It only takes two to have a meeting. Here i am.

You take the preamble and I'll take the Serenity Prayer. I'll start.

Hi, I'm Mr. X, and I'm a sharpenaholic. Only been doing it a few days, but I know I need help.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:59 am 
Forum Moderator

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:27 pm 

:lol: Somehow it just helps to know I'm not alone in my addiction. Maybe one of you can help me explain to the wife why we can now slice tomatoes with our butter knives . . .

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:54 am 

youre defintely not alone...I've been asking friends at work to bring in knives for me to sharpen. I ran out of my own and my girlfriends!! As a side note, I almost bought an old Ed. Wusthof chef's knife and Sabatier slicer today at a flea market. Both carbon steel and both looked as if they were sharpened with an 80 grit wheel on a dremel tool. Couldn't talk the guy down below $35 and its too much for 2 knives i don't need :lol: Still tempted to go back for the wusthof though..

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:55 am 

sharkbite111 wrote:youre defintely not alone...I've been asking friends at work to bring in knives for me to sharpen. I ran out of my own and my girlfriends!! As a side note, I almost bought an old Ed. Wusthof chef's knife and Sabatier slicer today at a flea market. Both carbon steel and both looked as if they were sharpened with an 80 grit wheel on a dremel tool. Couldn't talk the guy down below $35 and its too much for 2 knives i don't need :lol: Still tempted to go back for the wusthof though..

Chris

Yea well, I've been checking out Flea-Bay to try and find some cheap knives just too sharpen. :mrgreen: Now that's an addict!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]