It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:41 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: >> Suisin INOX Honyaki vs. Tadatsuna INOX <<
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:51 pm 
Forum Moderator

Ahhh, the age old question... ;)

Who has both or used both together extensively for a long while, and an opinion to share? Everyone seems to think its 6 one way, half-a-dozen the other.

Post subject: Re: >> Suisin INOX Honyaki vs. Tadatsuna INOX <<
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:31 am 

Six of one is nice but I think half-a-dozen of the other would be nice too. :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:26 am 
Forum Moderator

I think 1 dozen is 6 too many. :geek:

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:50 am 
Forum Moderator

The difference in Kanji is a non-issue w/me. Cost is a factor, but doesn’t make a difference in the ultimate decision. Profile is my main concern. I have spent a LOT of time with a “pass around” Suisin 270 honyaki gyuto, and undeniably love it. It's awesome for me... period. I LOVE my Suisin INOX Honyaki 240 Gyuto. It is my number one favorite knife out of all my Konosukes, Tanakas, Moritakas, Carter, Kanehiros, Tamahaganes, Tojiros, Kyoceras, etc., but I always wanna try something different. I can't imagine any package being better for me then the Suisin, but you never know till you try.

They [Tad & Sui] both have 260mm cutting edges & they both are 50mm tall. Perfect for me, and the Suisins have something very distinct whereas they have the slightest of concave in their spine created from where the tip actually begins to rise off centerline as it extends away from the heel. Very hard for me to describe, but extremely noticeable. This is the major discernible difference I can recognize in their profile from any other knife I see. The Richmond Laser exhibits a curiously similar profile, but I can’t imagine I’ll see the same F&F from a Kikuichi as I have from Suisin. The Tsutomu Kajihara share said concave, but they don’t have the same rise with their tip, they employ way too much belly for me, they are too tall with too much of that height carrying all the way up to the tip, and they‘re reactive.

I love both HD & 19c27 steels, but I prefer the second generation Kono Hds’ steel to my Suisin’s INOX. In the same breath, I prefer Suisin’s profile and size. My Kono is 276mm at the edge. I love her, but the 260 is slightly more versatile for me.

Like I said, the Suisin is really perfect for me, but I can’t help but hope that maybe - just maybe there’s something else. The Tadatsuna is really the only plausible competition I can see, but from a picture, she just doesn’t impress me.

Honestly, the impetus to my question is in that I will be acquiring a 270 Suisin soon… unless I can find an option I have yet to find. I’m slightly hesitant because I already have the 240. The Tadatsuna just doesn’t look to have the aspect of the profile I’m looking for, and I’m hearing nothing definitive that really steers me to her otherwise. I just saw her listed @$320 though, I think sans saya, and that deal left me thinking...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Suisin is better made F&F wise.

Otherwise, they're so close I couldn't choose between them. Steels are virtually identical. I might prefer the Suisin a bit steel wise, but that could be the placebo affect too.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:36 pm 
Forum Moderator

I have an Asai Stainless Damascus in petty right now so I took a look at the 270 and I see that concave spine lifting the tip. I was really excited as I have enjoyed working with the steel, but after calling in to confirm, it seems it comes in at 274 mm on the cutting edge leaving that idea moot. :|

I have been deliberating a long time on this one & it always comes back to the Suisin.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:13 am 
Site Admin

Isaiah just did a nice custom handle on a suisin 240. I'll get it on the site tomorrow if I have time.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:16 am 
Forum Moderator

MARK <> Sorry, you lost me on that one.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]