It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:22 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 5 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Looking For My First Real Knife
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:55 pm 
Forum Moderator

Alice really has no idea how deep the hole goes... ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:05 am 

LOL Tell me about it. I had actually found this site through a friend after asking some questions about sharpening. Still haven't bought a set of stones, but will probably do so at the same time I pick up the Gyuto once I decide. Oh well, something for the wife to wonder why I'm spending so much money on....lol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:55 am 
Forum Moderator

I can tell you the Hiromoto AS will serve you very well for under 200. The steel will certainly hold you over for a long time, and the stainless cladding is a lot less fuss to deal with than kuruochi sometimes. Although some Western handles can be handle heavy, most western handled Japanese knives are still blade heavy, less so than their wa-counterparts, and most approaching a perfect balance, slightly in front of the bolster.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:04 am 

So I've almost decided...After a little more looking, I'm down to two knives. Hiromoto AS Gyuto or Richmond Laser AS? I know the Richmond is about $40 more. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the two blades. I know that one is Wa and one is Yo, but both look like great blades. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:04 am 

If you see this Mark, any idea when these will be back in stock?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:02 am 

I have a Hiro AS 240 and I can tell you that it is a super super knife. You would not be disapointed with either choice I am sure.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:08 am 
Forum Moderator

NATHAN <> Largest variables are weight & thickness. The Richmond is 25% lighter (wa:yo), but she is 30% thicker, surprisingly enough.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:43 am 
Forum Moderator

It's hard to go wrong with either I think! Hiro AS is nice in a Western handle and the Richmond AS Laser should rock in a Wa handle!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:45 pm 

Probably, especially if you're not used to sharpening. My first knife was a Tanaka blue steel #2 knife and a king 1000/6000 grit combo stone. I knew nothing about sharpening. So i watched alot of japanese sharpening videos (on youtube) to get an idea before attempting to sharpen. (Mark has some good videos on sharpening as well) The big deal for me was the idea of getting rust on the knife and not ruining the original look. So after a year of experimenting with sharpening, getting to know the knife, etc (the original look is completely gone) - I kinda feel i'm ready for a more expensive knife now, but fwiw, the tanaka is still great!

My preference are rosewood/ebony octogon handles...although because i mostly pinch/push cut...the handle isn't even used that much other that when i hold it up to look at it. If you're a slicer, the handle is alot more important.

Maintenance isn't what it seems. I'm constantly doing little touch ups on the knife getting it ready for it's next use, so the word maintenance has been replaced with the words sharpening and fun(sounds better right?). Having a Kurouchi finish isn't as bad as people imagine once you're used to sharpening and cleaning it up quickly.

So yeah, there's nothing wrong with getting a lesser expensive knife (mine works fine?...i think i paid ~ $60). In fact, i think it's better at first, to get an idea of what the deal is. Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:50 pm 

Whoops...message above was in response to deisel's message way back on the first page :?

It's too early...i think i need a coffee.

"Would it be worth it to step down a little and try a Wa handled knife in the $70-$100 range and try to figure out which handle I like better before investing in a more expensive knife?"

Page 3 of 5 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next