It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:32 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Wedding gift. What to get.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:52 pm 

Melampus <> A day in a wet sink? My heart just skipped a beat! I said SOME neglect, not cruel and unusual punishment. But, yeah, I know what you're saying. I realize that I'm extraordinarily lucky to have a fiancee that shares my discipline when it comes to our tools.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

RICK <> ...extraordinarily lucky

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:20 pm 
Forum Moderator

Antonio_Luiz wrote:
Adam Marr wrote:"This steel is really nice. It took an absolute beating and was still sharp when it went to Shaun. I never sharpened it, and family members used it on glass cutting boards. Hey, I tried to throw them away....every time I visit the in-laws. I even bought them a wooden board. Problem is, it's only used by me when I go to visit. It's too difficult to wash....'We like just putting this in the dishwasher.'"

"Adam - I'd put those glass boards in the trash can - they're OK for putting hot dishes on but cutting - WTF? :shock:"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:36 pm 
Forum Moderator

A set of Tojiro DP's will fit the bill IMO.. They are good knives, and are probably tough enough to survive an accidental trip or 2 in the dishwasher. :mrgreen:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tojirodpseries.html

Or Fujiwara FKM stainless would also fit the bill. Just a good chef's knife and a parer would probably do, they won't be using much else.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fufkmse.html

Also the Tojiro or Richmond Bread knife would make a killer wedding present IMO.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riarbrkn27.html

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:44 pm 
Site Admin

I see what they say about function over aesthetics (useful over matched set)
The remarks about leaving a knife in a wet sink, hmm, are these strictly carbon or are they stainless? Is there a time limit for getting them wet?
,our son is not a chef but is a Mech Eng with a metallurgy specialty so will comprehend all involved.
Correct storage? Knife block or? Do the magnetic strips I see some stored on change the knives?
( I think blocks are the safest, sharp edges hanging around scare me) we would never put a sharp edge thru a dishwasher.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:51 pm 
Site Admin

These are all good questions.

We do sell some carbon steel knives. The ones I recommended for you are stainless and won't be a problem if you get them wet. If you have a particular knife you like just ask and we'll tell you if it's stainless. Usually we list the steel type on the pages.

Usually care for all knives should ideally be use, wash, towel dry, put away. Not everyone does this of course but for you I would recommend stainless since these are gifts.

Storage is really based on the person's kitchen. Many people will use 1 of 4 solutions based on their own space and preferences. Block, magnetic strip, sheath and in drawer holder. If you get a good Japanese knife like the Kikuichis I recommended I would suggest you get them a gyuto with a saya for each one. The sayas are wooden sheaths that protect the knife so you can put it in the drawer. You can find them here on our site: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/sayas.html
If you think they all have blocks blow the sayas off and they can add their new knife to their block.

The magnetic strips are very convenient but require drilling holes in the wall of your kitchen so they're not a great idea as a gift. If you kids have them already they're good to go. Magnetic strips don't effect
the knife in any real way.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:00 pm 

Won't a magnetized knife pull the iron out of meat?

Thank you, I'll be here all week.

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2