It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:53 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: The Intro..
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:00 am 

Hello everyone!

My name is Jason, and I would like to welcome everyone to the Traditional Sharpening forum.

My sharpening obsession started at age 9 when I received my first Arkansas stone kit. I had a great teacher (my uncle) who showed me the basics then set me loose to learn from my mistakes. My path of learning was likely similar to most, reading books and hearing a lot of the old myths that still get passed around today. I started searching the web several years ago for a better way and a better answer to the overly complex questions that it seemed I had. I finally joined a forum a few years ago and it was like getting a system update on my sharpening knowledge, years of questions and simple termanology were answered while new questions about tools and blade steels arose. I purchased some stones and strop compounds and found myself in lust with shiny metal and edges with unbelievable sharpness. Along the way it was brought to my attention I had a rare talent for making steel sharp and so began my sharpening service to the world.

I chose the name Traditional Sharpening because I like to incorporate traditional style and technique with modern stones and steel. I specialize in Super alloys and Japanese style blades using the highest quality tools to give the proper look to every blade. I am a big fan of a natural polish and whenever possible work to provide that. I use the highest quality stones and hones to produce the keenest edges possible while balancing function and beauty for the best in cutting experiences.

So, start threads, Join discussions, tell friends, and get answers direct from me on complicated issues in your sharpening journey.

Thank you,
Jason

P.S. A big Thanks! to Mark Richmond for the Sharpener's Corner and the opportunity to be a part of it.

Post subject: Re: The Intro..
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:07 pm 

Jason,
Very nice intro.
I love to hear from other sharpeners. (It would be so great to meet you guys)
I like the term Traditional Sharpening, to me it means that you do everything by hand on Japanese Water Stones, no guided devices, no belt sanders, just those beautiful water stones and skill.

I have no natural stones, not yet and Ken has made some great suggestions. However, 99% of the knives I sharpen are Henckels, Wusthof, Global, Shun, MAC. So it is very rare for me to get a traditional Japanese knife. Would a natural stone be a waste to use on these knives or would they just create a different finish?

Also I assume you can mix and match, i.e. use synthetic and natural stones together on one knife?

I will need to build my collection slowly, that is why I ask :)

Thanks Jason

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:15 pm 

Thanks, Sailor

Once you use a natural stone synthetics will suddenly feel like cheap imitations of what a stone should be. One of the reasons I'm so happy with the Nubatama stones is because they not only mesh well with naturals but tend to work like them in their ability to produce depth in the natural polish that a glossy polish cannot produce.

I just received a Monzen Aoto from Ken, and while not my first its one of the best. I will be using this stone for single bevel knives and finishing Gyutos. Natural stones produce a edge unlike synthetics, IMO it cuts better and if you search around its a common consensus. Using a natural surely wouldn't hurt but they do work better with harder steels in most cases.

I tend to use synthetics up to my Aoto, coarse natural stones are quick to wear and are not as widely available. I plan to get one eventually but in no hurry currently ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:37 pm 

I was afraid you would say something like that about naturals :)
My path is clear now and another stage of my sharpening journey lies ahead, it was inevitable.

Thank you Jason.
Peter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jason, good luck with the forum! I'll refer my customers to your page for info on your sharpening services.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:14 am 

Thanks, Mark!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:18 am 

I like your work Jason. Very good technique. A true master.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:27 am 

You work on straight razors by any chance?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:12 pm 

Have yet to work on one, pretty sure I got the stuff to do it though ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:33 pm 

I really like the technique video you made a lot. I had to bookmark it so I could use it as a reference. I have incorporated some of your technique into my own even though I still have a long way to go to become consistent and proficient.

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next